01-03-2012 03:57 PM
I was working with a client and they were having the same exact problem with their Windows 7 system with Norton AntiVirus. Here is exactly what I put in the fields and it worked like a charm.
First, I've created a new user on my system called "scan" with password "scan". Next, I've created a folder in the C drive root called "Scans" and it is shared and has read/write access by the user "scan".
Friendly Name: ScanJob
Name or IP address:
Host name: ADMIN-HP
Document Path: (leave blank - don't put anything in)
Login Name: WORKGROUP/scan
A lot of people are making the mistake of not putting in the right info in the "Login Name" field. You have to put the domain/workgroup name in CAPS / your username. Next, make sure you put the share name under "Share" and leave the document path empty (unless it's a subfolder in your share).
04-06-2012 08:26 PM - edited 04-06-2012 08:28 PM
Supertechteam, Everyone else,
THIS IS WHAT FIXED IT.(see Supertechteam's POST ABOVE!!!)
Just want to let you know i have tried everything in this forum and ThiS post was the only one that fixed the issue with the network scanning. I had the login name wrong and I was using the file path in the Doc path which should have been blank. Pretty much everything the Xerox user giude says was wrong with the setup (it was written before Windows 7).
Thanks for the fix man!
03-27-2014 02:26 PM
>>> there is a new fiirmware out that fixes SMB issues, its not posted on the xerox site, so you need to call to obtain version : 20.104.04.003 <<<
I have a WCP238 in my office that we bought new in 2005. We had been using it with a Windows XP computer for scanning. Well, that computer recently died. I have been unsuccessfully attempting to scan to the new replacement computer running Windows 7 64-bit via SMB. I've seen indications that SMB "will never work" with Xerox copiers on Windows 7, to use FTP instead. Well FTP doesn't seem to work either. I have set up the FTP on the new Windows 7 computer, and can access it successfully from other computers in the office as well as from my cellphone. It seems that everything EXCEPT the WCP238 will access it.
SMB appears to be a much better solution, if it can be made to work. Is there a newer firmware available for my WCP238?
03-28-2014 10:20 AM - edited 03-28-2014 02:23 PM
ULTIMATE SOLUTION (at least for me) . . .
Last night I came up with a super idea. The Network Routers in my office (Netgear WNDR4500) support what Netgear calls "ReadyShare" via the attachment of a USB dongle (or Drive) to the USB port on the rear of the Router. I had never used this feature before, but it occurred to me that maybe I could configure this to be incorporated as the File Repository for my WCP238. I did some checking on the internet and from the best I could determine "ReadyShare" would support SMB transfers.
So this morning when I got back to my office I tried it. The configuration was relatively simple on the Router end, and the Scanner end setup was just like the normal Windows XP configuration for using SMB. Just be sure to use the Host Name "readyshare". Your Share Name can be whatever you want, configured in the Router for the USB share. Login Name and password appear to be irrelevant, but the only items left "unprotected" in your Network are the pdf files that reside on the USB stick on the Router.
This solution ends a major headache for me that has been going on for several days now, ever since I had to replace the XP computer that had acted as the File Repository for our WCP238 . . . :smileyvery-happy:
04-14-2015 10:47 PM
I was having the same problem. Old computer was XP, New computer is Win7.
First try no go. Checked File repository settings. Had the old user Login name in - changed to the new/ correct user name.
All the rest was correct (I had made a share in the Win 7 machine exactly as in the old XP, same domain name and all.
Tried a bunch of different things as suggested, nothing worked. (Did not upgrade firmware - still using 20.105.01.010)
Did not do full memory reset either. But tried entering the full user name path (complete with WORKGROUP, which is the correct name) and creating a new user account on teh computer just in case it needed to be a simple user account, not an administrator account.
In the end, I turned off the xerox machine, and back on, still no go.
Turned off the computer, then back on, and SUCCESS!
I should have known better! should have done that right away after I changed the "Login" name on the Xerox File Repository setup, which was the only thing that was clearly wrong. Even though
I can not see here why it would need that, I have seen many cases before where this is nonetheless necessary.
Also, sometimes the Router can take its time to workout the necessary authorizations to new user/ requests. Allowing a few minutes between changes, before testing, can make a big sifference. Otherwise, one just ends up going over the successful fix without giving the hardware/ software time to adjust/ reset. The funny part is, even though I know this fully well, I still end up getting caught all the time.
05-01-2015 12:26 AM