Xerox Analyst
Joel930777-XRXL

Re: Mac OS 10.6.8 Update - Problems with Fiery Driver

Does this fix work for all printers or just Fiery's?

Does this fix make changes to the Mac OS or is it only affecting the print drivers already installed?

thanks

Please use plain text.
grebstad

Read what I´ve posted here:  http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48419 

It´s pretty much the "lost" readme for the published "fix".

Basically this patch downgrades the CUPS printing system to what is in OS X 10.6.7

Network printing is restored. OS X users that use Bonjour published printers will just have to run the patch, mine or the one Xerox has published, and the simply turn off pause on the affected printer.. and everything works again. 

So far it is safe to assume that pretty much all Bonjour published printers on a network that use the CUPS system .. and thus were affected by the 10.6.8 CUPS bug  will again start working after running this patch.  

There are however some cases with certain Epson printers and  others that seemingly still have issues.   

This patch does not fix any problems regarding local USB printing. It only applies to CUPS network printing.

Please use plain text.
grebstad

Joel_V - the fix ( which isn´t really a true fix.. ) simply downgrades CUPS. This affects the very system. It does not directly mess with installed drivers at all.
See this link for more on CUPS: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-48447.html
The real problem seems to be a protocol related error somewhere in the CUPS SNMP Supplies routines. Fiery´s published fix ( which still isn´t a true fix ) is to edit this parameter from true to false in the active PPD. This works fine for one user, but it seems to me to be unreasonable for a larger network of macs. That is why I published my own patch in the pkg format. The patch can be used locally and also by a network admin and installed on an unlimited number of machines remotely within seconds.
BTW, the Xerox ( and my patch also ) does disable some SNMP messaging with the printers. This is not really a big issue for now and can be safely ignored.

BTW, the reason why I call these patches not true fixes is that none will actually properly repair 10.6.8 to an Apple certfied working 10.6.8. Only Apple can do that.. This must of course also involve a fully working SNMP communication with the printer.
Please use plain text.
Karen

The fix did not work for me.

Please use plain text.
RobW

We recently had to install Rosetta on our G5 Intel Macs running 10.6.8 to acommodate another Printer Driver (Xante) and that interrupted our ability to send files to the Xerox 260. Previously we had been fine, it was set up as an LPD printer not Bonjour but even after applying the 10.6.8 v1.1 Combo Update and applying grebstad's script fix I cannot get anything to go through the local Mac queue to the DC260.

Are there any other fixes known at this time?

Please use plain text.