fodderstompf

Programmatically creating job tickets for Freeflow 7, 8 and DocuSP

Hi there,

I am programmatically creating PDF files in Python and Reportlab, each containing several thousand documents, each document with a variable amount of pages.

My problem is that I need to instruct the printer which media type each page should be printed on (pre-printed letterhead for the first page of a document for example). It seems that I need to generate some kind of job ticket which hold this kind of information.

I've had some success with creating JDF job tickets but these only run on my organisation's newest printers which run Xerox Freeflow Server version 8.

Ideally I need a solution which also works with our Freeflow server version 7 and Xerox DocuSP printers. I have tried unsuccessfully to send JDF tickets to these printers.

Is there another type of ticketing system I could use, or a way to get all of our printers recognising JDF files?

Please use plain text.
Technical Escalation Support
Roger953287-xrx

Re: Programmatically creating job tickets for Freeflow 7, 8 and DocuSP

Xerox uses an XML based ticketing system called Xerox Printing Instruction Format (XPIF). You can get an idea of how this format works by opening your Xerox custom print driver, programming some printing attributes, and then exporting the Xerox Job Ticket. This is accomplished by selecting the Advanced tab on the print driver, selecting the '+' next the Xerox Job Ticket and choosing 'Export Xerox Job Ticket...' and then pressing the 'Export...' button.

In order to get full access the the XPIF programming guide I believe that you have to register on the following site:  www.xerox-solutions.net/Partners

I am not sure what the requirements are for registration, but fill out and submit the registration form and someone will contact you via email with details.

Please use plain text.
fodderstompf

Thanks for your reply. :smileyhappy: I tried that and got an xml file with job -ticket instruction in it. Presumably our laser operators could open a pdf in Acrobat, and load up this ticket in the print driver.

Now my question is this: Our current work flow involves the laser operators dragging print ready postscript files into hot folders rather than using a print driver. Is it possible to do the same with a PDF and an XPIF file? How does the printer know which XPIF ticket belongs with which PDF?

Or is it possible to combine the PDF and the XPIF information into one file which can then be dragged into a hot folder?

I'm currently waiting for for the developer partner registration to be approved so I don't know if that will shed some light on the subject.

Please use plain text.
Technical Escalation Support
Roger953287-xrx

I believe there is an XPIF entry for calling an external file, like JDF has, but am not positive.

However, you can add the XPIF ticket to the front of the PDF file. This would make the file unable to be opened in Acrobat though.

Windows command prompt command to do this would be:
copy /b <ticket file> + <PDF file> <print file>
Please use plain text.