Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Using ldap for accounting purposes (7120-7545)

Hello everyone, I would like to configure those two machines to control the its access and to know how many prints, scans and copying do the users through the validation using ldap, is it possible? so the company has around 400 users and setup all on the machine one by one could be a nightmare.

Thanks in advance.

Javier Núñez.

Analyst Nation Moderator

Re: Using ldap for accounting purposes (7120-7545)

Somewhat it can be done, you can certainly allow/disallow users by LDAP, but you would (I think) need a third party accounting software to do reports on it. Xerox plays no part in that since it has no bearing on the printer. Xerox has XSA built in, and Equitrac Printsafe for external control.

So on the printer side of things, using the 7545 for the example:

CWIS > Properties > Connectivity > Protocols > LDAP > Add New (Anything beyond this screen is up to your setup)

1.GIF

Then to bring that connection in to play for authentication:

CWIS > Properties > Accounting > Edit

2.GIF

Network Accounting > Save

3.GIF

Accounting Workflow > Edit

4.GIF

Choose stuffs and save

5.GIF

This workflow is very limited because LDAP servers are not at all built to this purpose, if they were, there would not be a massive 3rd party Accounting companies.

Please be sure to select "Accept Solution" and or select the thumbs up icon to enter Kudos for posts that resolve your issues. Your feedback counts!

Joe.

Thanks for your support, I´ve been following the steps, however, when I going to use the functions on the panel the machine ask me for the user ID and account ID, I don´t undertand why request this two users it should be only the user and the pass of the user domain, do you have any clue about that?

Thanks in advance.

Balmes Sistemas.

Analyst Nation Moderator

Oops.

CWIS > Properties > Security > Authentication > Setup > edit

1.GIF

Set to User Name / Password Validated Remotely on the Network  >Save

2.GIF

Then you would also need to go into User Permissions and disable print for non - Authenticated in users

Please be sure to select "Accept Solution" and or select the thumbs up icon to enter Kudos for posts that resolve your issues. Your feedback counts!

Joe.

Thank you for your quick help, once I have configured the user access where should I go to view/export the accounting to view the number of (copys and prints) of every Domain User?
I guess that the machine register the users according they be validating on the machine, is it right?
Analyst Nation Moderator

From my first response.

you can certainly allow/disallow users by LDAP, but you would (I think) need a third party accounting software to do reports on it. Xerox plays no part in that since it has no bearing on the printer. Xerox has XSA built in, and Equitrac Printsafe for external control.

Access is being handled by LDAP, the machine doesn't care at all what you do when you get access.

LDAP servers don't care either, it isn't what LDAP is for.

You need to get a software that links the users and their access.

Joe.