I struggled a lot trying to find a solution to the problem of my Workcentre 6027 not being able to scan to gmail. I spent countless hours, did all the tricks I could (I am pretty IT literate) and finally found a solution. So I thought I would share it with you all.
The problem was that all tutorials here were either based on firmware of other Xerox machines (which specifically allowed to tick a box with "use SSL for authentication"; the 6027 firmware does not have it) or on some third party solutions, such as SMTP2GO.
Prerequsities: your Xerox 6027 must be properly connected to the internet, so you have to be 100% sure all network settings are correct. For home-based WiFis it should be pretty simple - just scan for your home wifi network, enter the passkey, use the DHCP and that's all. For other networks - you have to find out, whether you need to use a proxy server, a static IP etc.
So what you need to do is:
1. Go to the control panel of your printer called "Centreware Internet Services". You can find out how to do it in your user manual.
2. In the CWIS go to Security -> SSL/TLS Server Communication
3. Put in the settings as in the first screenshot
4. In the CWIS go to Protocols -> Email Server
5. Put in the settings as in the second screenshot, of course supplying your gmail login name in the pixelated boxes :smileyhappy:
6. And last, but not least - go to your google account settings and turn off 2-way authentication. Otherwise, google servers will try to ask your printer for a one time code required for each new device trying to log in to your account, which of course it is not capable of providing.
And that's all - I guarantee 100% that your scan to gmail will work :-).
Big thanks to the EO Networks - a Xerox partner in Poland (where I am from), who helped me on the part of the solution.
Thank you providing this detailed solution. I know other will find it very useful.
I want to thank you and EO Networks profusely for your solution! Having just bought this unit and setting it up last night, I was really getting frustrated with this step. And considering returning it.
To add hopefully helpful additional detail.
1. Enabling the SSL/TLS info requires a reboot of the 6027. Don't forget to refresh browser window...
2. Indeed, nothing is entered in the POP3 server address field. (I do have my gmail address in the Login Name field, however).
3. I have to set "Allow Less Secure Apps: ON" in the google account settiings.
When I first tried this solution you provided, I also did have the "Allow Less Secure Apps: ON" from general google account sign-in and security/connected apps & sites. And it worked!
However, I don't like that idea. I changed that back to OFF after first successful scan2email events. Then it killed something (screen shows "Processing" and it was completely unresponsive, and I had to remove power to unlock it! Tried again, same problem. These two tries to scan/email also initiated two blocked sign-in attempts" in gmail, I noted. When I then reset "Allow Less Secure Apps: ON" from general google account...and the scan is emailed ok.
So I set up and am using a different google account than my main one for the printer.
....now, if only I can get the "print two-sided" option to show up on Mac print pages like it does on Windows 7 print pages.
The 6027 does not have the ability to do duplex, the hardware itself doesn't support it. All it can do is manual duplex, which means you end up printing all the odd numbered pages simplex, then reload the paper and print the even numbered pages on the other side, which is replacing the duplex unit with yourself.
Genius!!! Thank you so many times! I'm not an IT person and I felt so lost with this printer. I just completed the set-up and it worked! Thanks again for sharing:)
Hello, I bought this unit in July 2015.
Since then until August 28th 2018 I was able to scan and send results directly to my gmail account.
Suddenly next time I've tried that operation it was a total fail.
I've read and tried, all the 100% guaranteed solutions, posted in several forums, even this one, 100% working and easy solution to Xerox 6027 Scan to Gmail SMTP Setup, unsuccesfully.
I'm almost sure that this arose since some automatic update for Windows 10 happened.
I already update today 01/12/2018 the firmware and nothing.
When I ping my workcentre from any PC in my home network the response is OK.
Does somebody know some solution, please?