I have been trying to scan to email using Gmail and following the different posts on this forum but I'm unable to make it works. It's always returning the error (027-779): It attestation-fails by SMTP-A.
I'm using the same device and authentification email addresses.
Thank for your help.
Solved! Go to Solution.
You were so close in this screenshot ;-)
Change the 2nd to last (Type de validation) option to the other selection and it should work fine.
For some reasons, it still doesn't work. I have change the setting (Type de validation) from network to device and got the same error.
I have checked under "connectivity" and under "email" to ensure I have the same settings and I do.
From the console screen, when I'm trying to test the connection, I have username and/or password doesn't match. I have checked the spelling of my username and password more than once and typed again, still doesn't work.
Mine works with those settings, and while mine is on launch firmware, it is possible that updating yours may make it work, but my guess would be that you are using Chrome to setup the device and the password field isn't working (Widely known issue with all Xerox devices)
I have updated the firmware from 65.10.41 to 65.10.71. The process went well.
I have used either the printer console or IE11 to enter the password and I have the same error message.
I have received the email below from Google.
I guess there is another setting that I should change to make it works.
Thanks for your help.
Now it works by reducing security level in my gmail account.
I hope Xerox will be able to correct the issue in the future if possible. I don't think it's the right approach to reduce the security level in order to communicate with my printer.
Thank you for your help.
Guys - don't make things complicated. If you recently changed your password for your email, just type in the IP address of your xerox copier ( you can find it on your machine in machine info) in the address field on the web and go to Properties, Connectivity, Protocols, SMTP Server, and change the password. You must be an administrator to access these properties and have the password for the administrator. We just did it. Our horrible copier service was going to charge us $200 to figure out what was wrong, so we did it ourselves. Easy!