cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tkbrads New Member

Mountain Lion SMB Scanning

I have a 7535, and 5775.  We just upgraded our servers from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion and instantly our scanning would give a authentication error.  Everything works on our network except for our Workflow Scanning on the Xerox printers.  They no longer authenticate with the SMB shares.  However, I can authenticate with other devices and computers using the SMB protocol.  Something is different with the Xerox authentication hand off. This may be a Apple thing, but its funny that all other devices still communicate with SMB.    

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Kimzi Valued Advisor
Valued Advisor

Re: Mountain Lion SMB Scanning

Heya!

The finder does use AFP by default, thats probably why it works there and the machines are having problems.

I have encountered that some settings change when updating to Mountain Lion.

I would suggest disable and re-enable the SMB through: System Preferences -> Sharing -> File Sharing -> Options and check the box to enable SMB.

They did a few fixes in the 10.8.1/2 update I think, tried that?

If this does not work I would suggest using samba and smbup instead, because they do have a lot of problems with SMB on 10.8.

Hope this helps

Thanks!

0 Kudos
tkbrads New Member

Tried turning off SMB sharing and then turning it back on but it did not work.  I should mention that this is on Mountain Lion Server where the shares are located.  The shares were created using the Server Manager in Snow Leopard and then upgraded to Mountain Lion Server.  The server piece is quite different now so it may be a source of issue.

0 Kudos
Kimzi Valued Advisor
Valued Advisor

Heya!

I did read about this, according to what I can find out Apple changed the protocol, they removed samba and made their own.

And after this there has been several issues.

According to many of the ppl having the same problem the easiest workaround is to use FTP instead of SMB.

As I said in last post, what about readding samba and using smbup as a workaround if you really need to have SMB working?

Hope this helps

Thanks!

EDIT: I found some interesting reading about this, read through the article on THIS site and you might get it working..

0 Kudos
Agency Analyst JordanAXAUQE-AA
Agency Analyst

Scanning does not function because the OS using SMB 2.0 as where the Xerox machines support 1.0 You will need to use FTP to get network scanning running.

Thank you,
Jordan R.
Systems Analyst / Consultant
Fiery Certified Professional

If someone helped you make sure you give Kudos for their efforts! Don't forget to Select Accept as Solution if the reply resolved your issue as it will be able to help others!
0 Kudos
Kimzi Valued Advisor
Valued Advisor

Hey, Jroth!

I guess there is no backwards compatibility in OS X?

Cause this is possible on a windows PC.

It should work by installing samba and using smbup.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Agency Analyst

Kimzi,

If you get it working I would love to see a HowTo if you could provide one - I have ran into a few installs the past few weeks with Macs and scanning. I have attempted a few times with various things but always seemed to move to FTP. To answer your question if there is backwards compatibility I do not have an official answer.
Thank you,
Jordan R.

If someone helped you make sure you give Kudos for their efforts! Don't forget to Select Accept as Solution if the reply resolved your issue as it will be able to help others!
0 Kudos
Kimzi Valued Advisor
Valued Advisor

Hey, jroth!

I will have a look at this, hopefully I can get a hold of a 10.8 OS so I can try it out myself.

Will keep you updated :)

Thanks!

0 Kudos
TypeASue New Member

If anybody would like to walk me through getting it set up, I'm game!  I am going crazy without being able to scan, putting off all sorts of work that I should have gotten done.  Notify me... I'll contact you, or you contact me.

0 Kudos
Agency Analyst

TypeASue,

I can get you setup via FTP if you would like to setup scanning that way. I would also be willing to setup a HowTo if needed. Let me know if something like this would be benificial for you.

Thanks,

Jordan

Thank you,
Jordan R.

0 Kudos