cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

SMB Error 031-529 Login Failed

I recently bought the WorkCentre 6027 and I'm not trying to install the scanner with for different computers. I created on each computer a folder (not the same name) on its desktop and gave permission to everyone (Read/Write). I then accessed the Address Book in the CentreWare Internet Service to add an entry for each computer:

• Name
  • Computer SMB
  • Actual IP Address (how could I figure out my DNS Name?)
  • Port number 139
  • Ana-Think\Ana Burch (as seen here)
  • password
  • password
  • Scan Ana

Do I miss something or why it doesn't work? And don't I have to add somewhere the complett path of that directory Scan Ana?

Appreciate your help!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Valued Advisor
Valued Advisor

Re: SMB Error 031-529 Login Failed

You can't actually get Everyone to have access to somebodies desktop because it is within a specific users profile. So somebody else logged into the local PC could access it, nobody outside of it on the LAN (the printer) should be able to.

So resolve that by putting the share on the root of the drive , share it again, but add the specific account that the printer will be using to the permissions and when you type in the username on the printer , be sure to add it how it displays in the folder within the brackets (As you know that was the solution in the post you referenced). Then right-click the folder and choose Send to > Desktop (Create shortcut).

222.GIF

That will resolve a ton of issues that can come up including when someone eventually accidentally moves/deletes the share. It also eliminates the possibility of someone else being able to access files within the local users profile.

Most likely your issue is simply that the folder is located within a users profile.

Please be sure to select "Accept Solution" and or select the thumbs up icon to enter Kudos for posts that resolve your issues. Your feedback counts!

Joe Arseneau
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Joe

Thank you for your reply, but let me ask you again to make sure I understand it:

1. A folder on the desktop is not possible, it has to be c:\folder right?
  2. So how I can give that folder now permission for the printer if it's not Everyone? do I create an account just for the printer or how I do that?
  3. How I find out the DNS name of my computer

Appreciate your help and patience!

Happy Easter

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Advisor
Valued Advisor

1, For simplicity sake the answer is yes, realistically it can be done, but the simpler way is to put it at the root and use a shortcut on the desktop.

2. You can create another windows user on the PC (preferred since you know tthe user will never change their password and break everythig) or use the regular users account assuming they have a password (password is required for the printer), to add the user click Add where I highlighted how the username will format.

3. Use the IP address, not the name

Please be sure to select "Accept Solution" and or select the thumbs up icon to enter Kudos for posts that resolve your issues. Your feedback counts!

Joe Arseneau
0 Kudos