Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scschulte

Scan Assistant 64 bit for Mac Big Sur

Product Name: WC3225
Operating System: macOS 11 - Big Sur

Hello,

I have a multifunction Xerox laser printer:  WC3225 with automatic document feeder.  Excellent printer and this came with the software SCAN ASSISTANT for Macintosh which is excellent too!  BUT Apple has changed its requirements for all software-- from late 2019 with macOS 10.15 Catalina and now with macOS 11 Big Sur - all software must be 64 bit.  Scan Assistant is only 32 bit and will not work on the latest macOS systems.

I have tried and tried for months to find someone at XEROX who knows when (or if) they will issue a 64 bit update to the very fine SCAN ASSISTANT program.  No one knows anything.  Like shooting in the dark or something-- I'm amazed at the total lack of knowledge and interest on the part of everyone with whom I've spoken or eMailed concerning this issue.

If anyone knows of an update to SCAN ASSISTANT that will run on Mac and is 64 bit -- please reply.  Any and all replies welcome-- even if it is just to comment on what I've written…

I can say that I've tested VUESCAN for Mac and this is a very solid and complete app in 64 bit that will run on Big Sur.  It does cost about $40 for the basic app --- and it looks like that is going to be my solution but just hoping that SCAN ASSISTANT will be updated because quite frankly-- it is the easiest and best to use and was included with the purchase of my Xerox WC3225 printer in January 2108.

I think Xerox is a fine company with great products-- and don't mean to sound negative about them-- but I am a bit frustrated here and discouraged too…  

Looking forward to hearing from any/every-one here on this issue.  Thanks very much.

Best regards,

Steve Schulte
Saturday 6 February 2021

4 Replies
scschulte

Re: Scan Assistant 64 bit for Mac Big Sur

I would love to have someone from XEROX or a user reply to this request for information about SCAN ASSISTANT in 64 bit for Mac Catalina and Big Sur.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Steve Schulte
Monday 8 February 2021

Artur

same here; I didn't like the Scan Assistant too much, but at the very least it offered the capacity to scan in color (WorkSpace 3025); ever since Catalina that option is gone and while usually that's not a big deal, every now and then it is, actually; and since the previous software proved that the device indeed is capable of scanning in color, it looks like Xerox just doesn't care about customers who already own and use their products... tells a lot about company's culture and - hopefully - future.

and yes, even the latest driver that for some reason is marked as big sur compatible, does not enable color scanning; or to be more precise: there is that option there, and you can very well select it, but it fails every time I attempt it... so, in real world it does not exist :-/

scschulte

Thanks for your reply and comments!

I truly hope that a XEROX representative can reply here to give us the status of Scan Assistant for Macintosh in 64 bit.

Looking forward to hearing any other comments but again-- especially from someone in the know:  XEROX.

The only thing now keeping me from purchasing a COLOR laser printer from XEROX is this issue and the issue of service.

Best regards,

Steve Schulte
Wednesday 17 February 2021

0 Kudos
Artur

yeah, so the worst dissapointment is that at the moment of purchase everything works fine; but then even though you've purchased one of the latest products released, after a year or two pass and there's a need to upgrade the drivers and supporting software Xerox only tells you "Delivery of updated drivers for macOS® Big Sur is currently being evaluated for this product." And yes, Big Sur is perhaps rather new, but it was exactly the same for years after Catalina was launched. Nothing changed there.

So, to purchase a product that works now, but there is no way of knowing if it will work with the next MacOS release, and it's a confirmed fact that the producer of said product is definitely NOT commited to even update it's software when new, relatively major OS'es are released, well, that's a risk I'm not taking anymore. I'm sure there is other companies to choose from, who are more commited to supporting their clients even after they update their OS.

0 Kudos