Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
de100671 New Member

Scan To Email - SMTP Error - 017-715

Jump to solution
Product Name: WorkCentre 6515
Operating System: Windows 10 x64

Since two days, my netcologne-smtp configuration no longer works. It used to work with STARTTLS on port 587 with smtp.netcologne.de using my user account. I have verified my credentials, configured Thunderbird with the exact same settings and am able to send mails via Thunderbird.

I failed to find ANY configuration that works with multiple providers (Google,Netcologne, Telekom) and finally created an isolated account with Google, allowed less secure apps to access the account and only then I was able to get my printer to send scans again.

When I use the original configuration, I get error 017-715 (which I have not found anywhere, only 017-714). When I access my embedded web server on the printer, I get the warning from my browser that it's certificate would be not trusted. My assumption is that the certificate of the SMTP server needs to be existent in the printer's certificate store OR that the printer needs to have an CA certified certificate (and not a self-signed certificate). However, I have no idea how to do try either of these possibilities and maybe my assumption is completely wrong. Please advise on how to get a regular configuration going without having to lower my security in the mail account at Google.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Analyst Nation Moderator Joe053204-hcl
Analyst Nation Moderator

Re: Scan To Email - SMTP Error - 017-715

Jump to solution

Update the firmware.

In general, the big 2's settings are

smtp.gmail.com port 587 with STARTTLS

smtp.office365.com port 587 with STARTTLS

Note that picking STARTTLS (If Available) is never going to be the right choice.

Make sure the device time is correct to within 3 minutes of actual, and the most important one on a Versalink family device is to disable Dual-Stack and put it on IPv4 (Or IPv6 if you live in a world where it is actually used)

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG

Please be sure to select "Accept Solution" and or select the thumbs up icon to enter Kudos for posts that resolve your issues. Your feedback counts!

Joe
de100671 New Member

Jump to solution
Hi Joe,
thx very much for your answer. All the mentioned settings are correct (as they have been stated in other Q&A pairs regarding error 017-714. IP4 only, STARTTLS, appropriate port settings, firmware is updated automatically. The strange thing is that it worked for more than 5 months now with the exact same settings and suddenly stopped working. As already stated, configuring gmail with less secure apps on works, Thunderbird with the exact same settings works and can send email via smtp port 587 STARTTLS and SMTP authorization. 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Analyst Nation Moderator

Jump to solution

No printer updates to the latest spar automatically, that will never be a thing, the printer checks for updates to a new General release, which can take years to release, since this is a new issue, and since the printer has had no changes, the change had to happen server side or network side, and to get whatever change happened to be supported by the printer, the only hope is that it is already fixed in spar firmware.

If the issue coincided with DST, and in you are in a region that does change your time, make sure the printer time is indeed correct, because 3 or more minutes off can cause failures with many servers, but you posted Saturday and stated the issue was stared 2 days previous, so I didn't bother with mentioning time, because that isn't when the change occurred.

Please be sure to select "Accept Solution" and or select the thumbs up icon to enter Kudos for posts that resolve your issues. Your feedback counts!

Joe
0 Kudos
de100671 New Member

Jump to solution

Maybe I misunderstand the firmware portion of your comment. Is the setting to update the firmware automatically not working? Do I need to do anything else to make the update work?

From my perspective, I agree to the fact that something must have changed outside the printer. It was working and without a change, it stopped. The only thing that would come to mind is that the printer's certificate might have expired, but I checked this and it is valid another 27 years. ;-) However, the printer's certificate is not issued by a CA, but self-signed by the printer and the message: ssl server certificate untrusted points to this. How would I get a CA signed certificate and install it in the printer to be used by the printer? Or can you rule out the certificate thing as a reason for this behaviour?

0 Kudos
de100671 New Member

Jump to solution

Maybe I misunderstand the firmware portion of your comment. Is the setting to update the firmware automatically not working? Do I need to do anything else to make the update work?

From my perspective, I agree to the fact that something must have changed outside the printer. It was working and without a change, it stopped. The only thing that would come to mind is that the printer's certificate might have expired, but I checked this and it is valid another 27 years. ;-) However, the printer's certificate is not issued by a CA, but self-signed by the printer and the message: ssl server certificate untrusted points to this. How would I get a CA signed certificate and install it in the printer to be used by the printer? Or can you rule out the certificate thing as a reason for this behaviour?

0 Kudos
Analyst Nation Moderator

Jump to solution

Click on the link at the first of my first post and install that firmware by following the directions supplied.

If you won't install the firmware I provided in that link then you will need to call Xerox and provide them with a Configuration report from the printer, and a Wireshark trace of the failed scan, and possibly the machine logs and they will look into the network traffic and find exactly what has caused the fault.

And the fix will be a firmware update, and since the spar links doesn't change, the fix will be available at the link I provided in the first response, which is not the link the printer looks to when it checks for an update.

Joe
freddy1525 New Member

Re: Scan To Email - SMTP Error - 017-715 - Xerox Workcentre 7125

Jump to solution

Hey guys,

I'm having the same issue. We had a local exchange server which the Xerox scanned to e-mail using a local SMTP relay which didn't have any auth or encryption configured. 

We've recently migrated to Office 365 and I have been having a heck of a time getting the Xerox to scan to e-mail. I'm currently stuck with this 017-715 SSL server cert untrusted error whenever the copier attempts a STARTTLS conversation.

I have tried three different hosts, I've tried Office 365, G-Mail, and a generic LAMP apache host with q-mail as their SMTP server.

In all three instances when I attempt to get the Xerox to connect to a remote SMTP server on port 587 using SMTP auth and STARTTLS I get this 017-715 SSL server cert untrusted error.

I have updated the WorkCentre 7125 to the latest firmware on Xerox's website to no avail, the machine updated but the behaviour with SMTP authentication continues. 

I looked high and low for the NTP settings on the machine and I can't find any mention of date or time! It does however somehow have the correct time within a few seconds of our NTP server. IPV4 is the only IP stack configured on the machine.

I have packet captures, the conversation starts normally, there is an exchange to what I assume is a certificate exchange to secure the rest of the email. The Xerox answers a few times then bombs with the 017-715 error.

Could this have anything to do with root certificate authorities not being updated on the Xerox? Does a firmware update update local ceritficates and root certificate authorities as well? My only guess is that all of these SMTP servers are using newer certificate authorities and the Xerox is seeing them and claiming they're invailid because it doesn't know about them.

We do have a current Xerox maintenance agreement, how would we go about getting these packet captures into the hands of folks who can offer help? 

Any ideas would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Analyst Nation Moderator

Jump to solution

71.24.23 is the latest firmware,which is vastly newer (see here if you want to know why) than what is listed on the drivers page of Xerox.com. Install it and try again, because any firmware lower than 71.24.12 can't do SHA-2, which means it will not work for any of the big SMTP services (Gmail/Office365/GoDaddy/Yahoo etc)

Joe
0 Kudos
freddy1525 New Member

Jump to solution

Hiya Joe,

Thanks for the reply, I've updated the firmware on the copier to that version in your link and it still gives me the same error. 

Is there a way to open a formal ticket with Xerox so that they can see the wireshark pcap dumps I have of the conversation?

Thanks,

Fred

0 Kudos