cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
noonie

Scan to email not working 95% of the time

Product Name: WorkCentre 7220/7225
Operating System: Not Specified

Just a disclaimer, I just started working for an MSP so I am not very proficient with these machines (google is my friend).

The two most frequent errors given to me by the client are:

Job failed. No messages were sent. Could not login to the sending mail server (SMTP). Check your user name and password provided or contact your System Administrator.

Device could not transfer messages to the sending mail server (SMTP).

Now, I know what you're thinking.. it's the email login or the smtp server. I have confirmed that the email login information is correct (they use O365). I also logged into the printer IP and made sure the smtp is correct (smtp.office365.com port 587).

The main reason I know the above information is correct because when I run a 'Test Configuration' to my email, it works the first time. Then, when I wait 10 minutes and test it again, it doesn't work and tells me the login info is wrong. It then continues not to work until I logout and wait a while to try again.

It's almost like it's not remembering the login information I put in (even though it tells me it saves it and works once).

I am tempted to say that the machine needs to be replaced because I have a colleague who physically went to the location and got it working, but not they are having trouble again. I remember him saying the firmware couldn't be updated anymore and that they could have hardware issues causing the random problems.

The client said they have Xerox technicians come out twice and determine that it must be something on our server-side. But we do not host their server nor do they even have an in-house server, they just connect with O365 web.

I am sorry for the rant and am prepared to answer any questions because I am sure I missed a lot of steps I should be doing.

Thank you.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
cbailey208

Re: Scan to email not working 95% of the time

I'm responding to your email to say that I too am having a very similar problem with my Xerox 7845. I am using the same SMTP server. This machine has been in operation for at least 4 years and we have been using it to scan to email a dozen times a day for at least 2.5 years. For at least the last week we have seen an increase in failed deliveries. Not all jobs fail, so there is no configuration issue. All jobs are under 700K in size, and there's no size limitation on exchange online emails at that small size.

The error, likes yours, is:

Job Status: Failed

Job failed. No messages were sent. Could not login to the sending mail server (SMTP). Check your user name and password provided or contact your System Administrator.

The credentials are good. I've logged into our Exchange Online account and confirmed there's no lock out or password timeout/change requirement. I look forward to seeing if you get any helpful responses. If I happen to find one that works for me, I'll post a response.

0 Kudos
Xerox-user44

We are a O365 shop and we have the same issue.  Our Workcenter 7845 is using smtp.office365.com:587 Encryption-STARTTLS .  Under Test configuration, email is sucessfully sent and delivered but when using the touchscreen on the machine for scan-to-email, we get a job status FAILED - Could not log into sending mail server (SMTP) message.  

Verified that credentials are correct for the O365 account and it is not locked. The configuration was working smoothly for the last 3 or so years..  Perhaps a O365 issue?  

0 Kudos
dzfounders

We have the same exact thing occurring with our devices, have you found a fix?  We have been dealing with this for just as long and I cannot figure this out, as you said seemingly 1 scan works then it reverts to failing user credentials, despite these credentials not changing. 

0 Kudos
Xerox-user44

After pulling my hair out it appears that the issue comes from O365 no longer supporting TLS1.0.  Updating the firmware on our Workcenter 7845 to 075.040.031.27310 enabled TLS1.2 and solved the scan to email issue for us. We were running a 072.xxx firmware. Good luck!

0 Kudos
cbailey208

I'm no the OP, but I have the same issue here. We are using firmware 073.040.075.34540. I'm not able to find firmware 075.x. Our xerox support company came by today and indicated we were running the latest version of the firmware, so I don't know which one you have. We were also running STARTTLS connection encryption. What I don't see is an option in the security settings to force the system to use TLS 1.2 instead of TLS 1.0, assuming that is the issue.

I do still find it strange that it will allow transmissions sometimes, but not all of the time. I would expect all transmissions to stop if TLS 1.0 were no longer functioning.

0 Kudos
George850650-XRXN
Technical Escalation User
Technical Escalation User

All,

Take a look at this Xerox Support Forum Post.

https://forum.support.xerox.com/t5/Copying-Faxing-Scanning/Scan-to-email-using-Office-365/m-p/248257... 

I hope this helps.