Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
4 Replies
pauldow2

Re: SmartStart Won't Run

Jump to solution

Thanks Tammy,

I got that patch installed, and the Print & Scan Experience is back working.

During the time there was a problem, I was able to use the scanner with this program
https://www.naps2.com/  called Not Another PDF Scanner.

Curiously, now that the Xerox program, excuse me, Experiance is back, NAPS doesn't find the scanner anymore.

0 Kudos
TammyL-Xerox
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Hello pauldow2. 

Please review the latest information we have on the MS issue.

Microsoft finally released a tool that will fix the initial problem late last night.

Here is the related KB article and links to download the tool https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb5034510-microsoft-printer-metadata-troubleshooter-tool-d...

The expectation is that on computers that had Xerox V4 queues associated with the XPSE, and then were impacted by the HP metadata (this problem is described at https://learn.microsoft.com/windows/release-health/status-windows-11-23h2#3218msgdesc), running the tool will reestablish the identity and association of the Xerox V4 queue with the XPSE.

This tool does not address the problem of new V4 queue installs that are not associating with the XPSE. This is still an open problem with Microsoft and we’ll be sending you more information when it is available.

Thanks,
TammyL-Xerox
Community Manager

Be sure to click Kudos for those who have helped you.
Select Accept as Solution for posts that have helped to solve your issue(s)!
0 Kudos
pauldow2

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply,

I've since seen the other thread here on this topic.

I also saw an article about this problem on arstechnica 

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/12/hp-printer-app-is-installing-on-pcs-whether-they-have-hp-pri...

Hopeully it will get some high priority fixin' over at Microsoft!

Paul

0 Kudos
TammyL-Xerox
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Hello pauldow2, 

Xerox Print and Scan Experience team says the problem is with Microsoft, not the XPSE. Microsoft is aware of the issue and is working on a fix. We will share details on the fix when Microsoft makes it available

Thanks,
TammyL-Xerox
Community Manager

Be sure to click Kudos for those who have helped you.
Select Accept as Solution for posts that have helped to solve your issue(s)!
pauldow2

SmartStart Won't Run

Jump to solution
Product Name: WorkCentre 6515
Operating System: Windows 10 x64

The device works as a printer, and Control panel sees the 6515 installed as a printer and scanner. Microsoft Scan program works with the device. The Xerox Scanner Management Utility doesn't display it.

When I try to run SmartStart Version 1.9.12.0, or version 1.5.49.0, I get the following errors in Event Viewer.

Application: XeroxSmartStart.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException
at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException(System.ExceptionArgument, System.ExceptionResource)
at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].get_Item(Int32)
at XeroxSmartStart.App.IsArm64Device()
at XeroxSmartStart.App..cctor()

Exception Info: System.TypeInitializationException
at XeroxSmartStart.App.App_OnStartup(System.Object, System.Windows.StartupEventArgs)
at System.Windows.Application.OnStartup(System.Windows.StartupEventArgs)
at System.Windows.Application.<.ctor>b__1_0(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.CallbackWrapper(System.Object)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)
at XeroxSmartStart.App.Main()

and

Faulting application name: XeroxSmartStart.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x64949986
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.3636, time stamp: 0x326edcef
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x000000000002cf19
Faulting process id: 0x2e64
Faulting application start time: 0x01da294868379d72
Faulting application path: C:\Users\Server\AppData\Local\Temp\Xerox\XSS\x86\XeroxSmartStart.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 1e50e10b-d99f-49e1-a61f-12d354199096
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I read the thread on a similar problem, so I updated the device firmware to version 65.74.51. I installed all the X64 and X86 versions ov Visual C++, and have the .NET redistributable installed.

Nothing pending shows up in Windows update.

It looks like Microsoft automatically dumped something called HP Smart on us, that opened when I tried to manage the Xerox device, but I uninstalled that.

Any suggestions on this?

Thanks,
Paul

Tags (1)
0 Kudos