My organization has recently switched from an in-house Exchange email server to hosted exchange through Office 365.
We have two Xerox multifunction, a 7830i and a C8055. Both have been configured with the same working O365 account, and the 7830i is sending emails without issue. The C8055 however will not send with the same settings and credentials.
When you use the Test Configuration button in the web dashboard SMTP settings page, the printer will attempt to send the email for about 5-10 minutes. Then it will give an error: "Unable to send test Email. Job canceled due to lack of system resources."
I have worked with the Xerox online support, doing various reboots and resets. I've also had two technicians come out. One of them updated the firmware to 101.002.059.13300
This did not fix the issue. If we put the old IP address of the old, non-existant server, with no credentials and just a reply to address, the test goes through within seconds, however, it obviously doesn't send an email, because it's not actually connecting to a mail server.
SMTP settings are:
smtp.office365.com , have tried port 25 (which works on the 7830i) and port 587.
authentication is set to Device and the working email login and password are entered
encryption has been set to StartTLS and StartTLS (if available). No difference on the C8055, either works on the 7830i
DNS settings are configured with the host name being whatever the default entry that was put in. Domain name is telus.net
DNS servers have been set as local dns, Google dns and telus dns. None make a difference. Currently set to google dns 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199
Append device domain is checked, Prefer IPv6 over IPv4 is not checked.
The first technician updated the firmware and did a software reset. The second tech was supposed to be "more of an expert on these matters", but all he did was put the old mail server information in, see that the test configuration didn't generate the error and then leave without talking to me.
I'm at a loss, because the same exact settings are working on the 7830i. The generated error doesn't bring up any meaningful information in Google, and they technicians don't appear to be able to help. Have anyone else encountered this issue?
Level 2 did look at it, they were the ones who booked the tech to update the firmware and try the software reset.
No one from Level 2 has looked at it since the tech updated the firmware, however.
I checked the link you posted, thank you for that.
I have tried changing the port to 25 and used the StartTLS option over the (if available), but that doesn't fix the issue with the C8055. Those are the settings I'm using with my 7830i, which works totally fine.
The error message "Unable to send test Email. Job canceled due to lack of system resources." seems to indicate a different issue than this person was experiencing.
Thanks for the suggestion. Hopefully someone else has encountered this or has another solution.
The message does seem to indicate another issue, but it could be a catch all message for failure.
You could do a image overwrite under properties->security. That should clear up any "lack of resources".
The only other things to check are date/time/timezone on machine.
You could also try cloning the working machine (78xx) and push the clone to altalink (provided its running 73.xx firmware).
Thanks again, David.
The firmware on the C8500 is 101.002.059.13300
The lack of resources error appears to be specifically triggered by trying to use the office365 mail server, as we used to use an in-house exchange server and the printer could email with it fine. However, it's odd that the older 7830i can use office365 without any issue and this newer printer is having trouble.
The NTP server the last technician put in is time.apple.com and although it's set to the correct date and time zone, it looks like it's an hour off. I'm rebooting the network controller and I'm going to use ca.pool.ntp.org once it's rebooted.
The last tech that was here took out all of the office365 settings and put our old (non-existant) mail server IP in instead. If you run the test configuration with these settings, the test looks like it works, and runs within seconds, like it's supposed to, but of course, since there's no actual mail server at that IP, nothing actually goes out, and as it's not using credentials to log in, I guess it doesn't need to test them and fail.
I might try using a google account or some other free account to test, but I just don't understand why this printer won't work using the exact same settings as the other printer, which works fine.
Reboot of the network controller corrected the time issue. I tried another test with the O365 credentials, but same result.
Tried using a personal Gmail account to test. Same result as the O365, printer sits at "waiting" for about 5-10 minutes and then fails and gives a "Hostname is not accessible" error. It did that with both using DNS to identify the SMTP server and putting smtp.gmail.com : 587 in.
You might want to try 2nd level again.
There is a setting somewhere in the printer where you can turn on a wireshark trace. 2nd level should know how to do this and read what's going on.
It could be some obscure setting. You can try properties->general-cloning on the working machine(The 78xx). Select all and create a clone. Then upload that clone to the Altalink. (You must check 'enabled unencypted clones' in the clone section)