cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WorkCenter 6180MFP-D Scan Error 016-782

On March 21st, our clinic SBS 2011 server died.  Parts for a rebuild are on the way but it won't be online until next week.  It was our one and only server, and handled all networking functionality (DNS, Security, File Hosting, Printer/Device Hosting, Internet Access, Active Directory, etc) and hosted our Xerox machine.  As a temporary workaround we connected the Xerox via USB cable to the nearest desktop PC.  We were able to successfully get network printing service up and running again with this fix, but scanning is another story.  Without a local DNS server on the network, the scanning output system no longer seems able to find the computers on our network, repeatedly spitting out error 016-782.  We've tried various permutations of using the network computer name or the IP address.  But nothing seems to work.  Is scanning functionality simply unavailable on a local network lacking a server to run the DNS service?  The Xerox cannot seem to push a file out to the network, but could a workstation possibly pull a scan from the machine?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Analyst Nation Moderator Joe053204-xrx
Analyst Nation Moderator

Re: WorkCenter 6180MFP-D Scan Error 016-782

016-782 is a login failure, 016-781 is a connection failure, 016-57X are DNS failures for scan

The machine should be able to scan via IP to pretty much any PC running Windows 8 or lower, newer would likely need new firmware.

Please be sure to select "Accept Solution" and or select the thumbs up icon to enter Kudos for posts that resolve your issues. Your feedback counts!

Joe.
0 Kudos

Joe:  Last month we had a 016-781 but that's because someone had accidently yanked the network cable with their foot.  Plugging the Xerox back into the network resolved that issue.  we have not received any other error besides 016-782 in the past few weeks.  If it's a login failure, might that be due to the fact that our server also handled active directory hosting services?  I provided the local credentials but it didn't make a difference.  All six workstations run Windows 7 and all four laptops run Windows 10.  We haven't tried testing scanning on the Windows 10 devices since they aren't used by those staff members who need access to scan functionality. 

I actually wrote my original post while I was on hold to talk to a technical support person.  They verified my hypothesis by indicating it might be possible to initiate a scan on demand from a workstation, but it would not be possible to send outbound scans from the Xerox  without a DNS server.  Of course that was tier 1 support.  We don't have access to anything more.  If you have some insights they do not, I would be eager to learn more.

0 Kudos
Analyst Nation Moderator Joe053204-xrx
Analyst Nation Moderator

For anything after SMB1 (SMB2 and SMB3) you should use specific formatting of the username.

In Windows, the specific formatting is easy to view.

Add the user to the share, then type the name exactly as shown in the brackets.

For Windows 8 and 10, it will never be just username, it will always be Hostname\Username or Domain\Username or Username@Domain

win10SMB.GIF

Please be sure to select "Accept Solution" and or select the thumbs up icon to enter Kudos for posts that resolve your issues. Your feedback counts!

Joe.
0 Kudos

I'm not sure where you're headed with this...  I just said the relevent workstations all use Windows 7.  Our Xerox detects it as SMB and there is no option to change it.  Since we don't use Windows 8 or 10 for scanning this seems appropriate.

Server Address Book Edit Entry.JPG

0 Kudos

Brief update:  We cannot afford to procure a new server at this time.  We have filed a grant for funding but that will be months down the road.  In addition to the scanning problem in my initial post, we are now experiencing near continuous errors when printing and copying.  Every few pages churned out by the machine, it gives us a paper jam error; but there's never any paper jams.  We have to open the trays and access points and close them again.  Then it prints two more pages.  Then it throws an error.  Repeat ad nausem.  We also applied for funding to buy a new office Printer/Scanner/Copier.  It may not be a Xerox.  But until then, we suffer and our resentment grows.  The team is already planning an Office-Space-like comeuppance for our Xerox.

0 Kudos