cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
4 Replies
JM9

Re: Registration Colour Crops

Jump to solution

I'll just get a preflight to make crops as registration and use it as required. Generally the Xerox presses are smart enough to print registration as just black (It's a setting on the freeflow)

I'll use the roundabout solution, shame it's not natively supported as a option in CORE I can see if not being the default for the reasons you explained but not natively supported is a tad strange in my opinion.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Digital presses typically do not require crop marks in all seperations to perform their job. This 'registration' color is of value typically for Offset Presses where you are combining multiple seperations (plates/film) and validating the registration on press. The digital systems do this automatically and dont have the same requirement.  Additionally, using registration color crop marks on a job that is otherwise 'black' will cause the digital press to bill the customer with a 'color click'. As such, I believe the goal has been to reduce the risk of customers getting 'extra' billing for color when they thought it was grayscale or black only.

Almost all the preflight profiles that you might generate in Adobe Acrobat as you mentioned, can typically be used in FreeFlow Core. If you dont find what you need in Acrobat fixups, we might be able to generate one that converts the color of all objects outside the trim box to registration color. However, if you have colorbars, then this might mess that up!

JM9

Jump to solution

That's a bit of a oversight is it not?

I know most if not all design programs output their crops as the CMYK +Spot plates to allow for registration of spot colours. I guess the solution is to always make sure the crops have been placed prior to input into core but that's a bit of a odd workaround for what core is supposed to do no?

Considering how hard Xerox is pushing the automation functions for stuff like the special spot toners on the new machines it might be good to consider those. I can do this natively in Acrobat through the basic functionality and even through the preflight. I mean I could make a preflight profile to do this but it just seems really odd that your system lacks a pretty basic functionality in one of it's modules...

Guess my workaround is to make a preflight profile to add crops and run it when It's needed.

Also Freeflow core is base RGB? Isn't this software designed for print production wouldn't CMYK be the base consideration then?

0 Kudos
DavidU54339-XRX
FreeFlow Production Workflow Moderator
FreeFlow Production Workflow Moderator

Jump to solution

I assume you are referring to "cut marks" in the Imposition node. One can define a custom color (see below) for the cut marks. Unfortunately, FFCore's base color space is RGB. Which means one's FFCore CMYK color definition will be converted to a RGB number which most likely will not be translated into the CMYK values you desire at the DFE. Also, one cannot specify a spot color (e.g., a PANTONE spot) for a custom color.

p1.png

0 Kudos
JM9

Registration Colour Crops

Jump to solution

Is there any way to make sure when I'm placing crops in CORE to make the crops Registration color? (IE: 100 of each plate so if we have spot colours it will make crops with those colors as well as CMYK?)

0 Kudos