Good to hear the sytem is working now. I'm concerned about the problem you encountered. Hopefully development will see the problem and write a BUG to get this fixed.
I did not realize you are a member of Xerox support.
I'm the Xerox support ;)
The only way I found to get FFCore working is to deinstall it, then remove both oap databases, manually delete all FFCore directories and reinstall the product.
It's working now !
This should not be happening -- as long as the laptop meets the FFCore minimum specifications. I would suggest rebooting the system -- sounds like you already have done this. Please contact Xerox support to work the issue.
The delete action inside the component doesn't react; so I can't delete any of the items.
Same for workflow with the delete button.
I have deinstalled and compltely reinstalled FFCore 6 (including databases) with the same bad result...
Does anybody see this issue or does it come from my laptop.
I'm working with SQL Server 2019 standard Edition.