cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ChrisBeech
Premier Partner

Using variables in the save node

Is there a way to retrieve the job name without the file extention? I am using $FFwfjob.jobName$ in a save node and appending to the input file in a save node. I would like to not have the file extension included in the middle of the file. 

For example if a file is submited 'filename.pdf' the $FFwfjob.jobName$ variable returns 'filename.pdf'

In a save node setting the save name to $FFwfjob.jobName$_$FFwfdoc.pages$ returns a file filename.pdf_7.pdf. I would prefer that it could return filename_7.pdf instead. 

Is there a variable that returns simply the root name of the file?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Account Deactivated

Re: Using variables in the save node

At the moment there's not. The only way to get around this would be to save to a predefined location and then use a script in the external node to rename the file.

How is the file submitted? MAX and JMF submission protocols both provide mechanisms for defining how jobs are named.

0 Kudos
ChrisBeech
Premier Partner

For this job configuration it is simply a series of PDFs dropped to a hot folder and written out with updated names containing some rudimentary document parameters, but would apply the same function within a MAX workflow.

0 Kudos
Account Deactivated

I have been thinking that including the extension on the job name when it is retrieved from the filename does not make much sense (the save node will add the extension to the filename if needed).

This is a perfect example of the problems around using the extension with the filename.

That said, this does not really help you today. I would work around it as follows:
Enable HF scripting and write a small script to
1. Move the PDF to a known location
2. Create a manifest for each job. Add two columns, the URL for the PDF and another for the filename without the extension.
3. Submit the manifest

Set the HF MAX configuration to use the column with the filename and no extension for naming the jobs.

That should do the trick.

Last thing I would do it add an external process with a small script to delete the files that were set aside in the original HF scripting.
0 Kudos