cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Cloning with CentreWare Web

Hello,

We are looking to get some help with managing Cloning amongst our fleet of 50 Xerox machines.

Currently, if we bring a new machine on board (or if settings get wiped out on an existing machine), we have to manually go through the Web GUI (Centreware Internet Services) of a good working machine, go to the cloning area, choose what features we want as part of the clone file, generate the clone file, and save it. Then, we have to go to the Web GUI of the new machine (or wiped machine), go to the cloning area, and use the "Install Clone File" feature, pointing it to the clone file previously generated.

It really isn't all that terrible, but we were thinking it would be nice if the CentreWare Web product had the ability to run a scheduled task where it would reach out to all 50 of our machines, generate up-to-date clone files, and save them off on a network share, so that way when we make changes out in the field on any of our machines, we don't have to always go back and manually generate a new clone file and replace the existing clone file.

I have explored the "Clone Printers" wizard in CentreWare Web, but have been having trouble simply getting the wizard past Step 2 of 4. When I select a machine (ColorQube 9302) to use as the clone, I get an error message saying "Cannot read cloning data from the source printer. The selected printer does not support cloning." I know for a fact this machine supports cloning as we manually create these clone files currently, to deploy to other 9302s.

I am also wishfully thinking maybe Step 3 or Step 4 would have some sort of "Task Scheduling" options built into it, but cannot even get past this Step 2. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

We have the following devices on our fleet:

Xerox ColorQube 8700 (2)

Xerox ColorQube 9201 (8)

Xerox ColorQube 9302 (7)

Xerox Phaser 3635 (21)

Xerox WorkCentre 5638 (1)

Xerox WorkCentre 5845 (2)

Xerox WorkCentre 5855 (1)

Xerox WorkCentre 7755 (4)

Xerox WorkCentre 7845 (1)

Xerox WorkCentre 7970 (3)

Thanks,

Colin

2 Replies
Highlighted
Valued Advisor
Valued Advisor

Re: Cloning with CentreWare Web

While a printer has cloning capability, it does not necessarily mean that CWW supports cloning it.

I know CWW is very limited on Connectkey products, which would include the 93xx, 58xx, 78xx and 79xx, so I would expect limited functionality in those 14 devices.

I have never seen a compatability document for CWW that listed what models the cloning option works with.

And being the software is free, there is not much in the way of support for it in my experience.

Of note to the 58xx,78xx,79xx, there is very soon going to be a new General release, that has many new features, including the ability to not only save a clone to a USB stick, but restore it to a device as well. So no more need of having to set the printers IP so you can go get a PC to access the CWIS page and apply the clone.

The 93xx will not be included in that feature or update though.

Please be sure to select "Accept Solution" and or select the thumbs up icon to enter Kudos for posts that resolve your issues. Your feedback counts!

Joe Arseneau
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: Cloning with CentreWare Web

If it is of help. I found saving the configuration set to be a bit more efficient than manual cloning.

Clone Phaser Printer > Xerox Group > Click on copier IP to open Device info > top left drop down menu starts with actions, select save as new configuration set.

Unfortunately 1 copier at a time, however, all settings are available and easier to compare.

Auto cloning would be nice, why offer the options if it's not (or going to be) supported?

24 copiers, c8045, c8070, c405, c7025

0 Kudos