Here are some solutions that might help:
1. Install latest version of Microsoft .NET Framework.
Personally I had problem with Xerox Smart Start 22.214.171.124 (for Xerox Versalink C7120) on clean installation of Windows 7 Home Premium so I installed Microsoft .NET Framework 4.8 and THAT WORKED!
2. Install Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable packages. Note that if you have 64 bit Operating System you should install both versions - for x86 (32 bit) and x64 (64 bit) architectures. Also according to my knowledge there are multiple versions of VC++ redistributable and they are not backward compatibile so it is the best solution to install all of them starting i.e from Visual C++ 2005. You can find them on websites: microsoft download center and/or microsoft Technical documentation - search for Microsoft Visual C++ YYYY Redistributable (where YYYY means year i.e. 2005), vcredist_x86.exe . VC++ redist packages/libraries are usually named vcredist_x86.exe and vcredist_x64.exe (sometimes followed by year i.e. vcredist2005_x86.exe).
3. Install all updates for your operating system.
I hope this help someone.
This same problem of the software reading "there's a newer version available" is happening for me even while downloaling and running version 126.96.36.199.
What's strange is that yesterday (2/9/23) I used 188.8.131.52 to install our department Altalink C145 on a Windows 11 system, now when openening 184.108.40.206 on any Windows 11 system, it reads the "there's a newer version available" error message.
We just got a new department printer....
many people will need this printer installed...
It is Monday, January 16, 2023 and I made this discovery. The Xerox Smart Start download page
has been changed/updated.
This page now downloads version 220.127.116.11 (About shows 18.104.22.168 - 5.15). Regrettably, if you right-click the EXE file, select Properties and then Details you won't find ANY information. (Great job there, Xerox! /s)
Executing this software no longer prompts with the message "There's a newer version available."
I guess someone finally figured out the new version had a problem and reverted.
I hope that is good news to anyone still struggling with the 22.214.171.124 file.
Thank you very much. finally the smart start did launch after extracting it with 7Z. Hope Xerox fix this soon
Yes create a new local account and it seemed to work for me. Or you can run powershell as a different users with your newly created local admin account to install it that way too.
I got a call back from Xerox SOFTWARE support and he said the problem with loading SmartStart is a conflict with Windows itself and a specific update [although I'm still having this issue with machines that don't have that update installed]. He said the V4 driver should not be used, only the version 3, and I watched as he downloaded it from their website and installed it on one of the computers I couldn't get the SmartStart on. It worked!!
But that driver wouldn't install on all the computers ... some computers would only allow me to use the V4 driver and they seem to be printing fine. I also have a couple computers who won't let me install them manually [manually meaning I click "can't find printer" instead of using the one that windows finds] because Windows can't find the printer at the address I give it, but most computers find the printer at that address just fine. And 1 computer will only use the "IPP class driver", not a Xerox driver, but at least it prints.
Be aware! ... I've noticed different drivers are printing with varying quality. Our old Xerox WorkCentre printed images beautifully. My computer and another one prints the same image with a pink hue, most of the other computers have less pink but the text is thick [like using a 1.0 pen instead of a 0.5 pen]. I even used the new machine to make a copy of the old machine's printed image and it's not colored right. The worst drivers to use with the AltaLink C8070 seems to be the "PCL6", regardless of version.
TL;DR: Do NOT even try to use the SmartStart program. Install your printer manually using the driver you download from Xerox website.
Having this problem with a B315 that replaced a WC3345.
Will try this workaround after hours today (Jan 5, 2023), but not thrilled that Xerox released this and then hasn't taken the ownership responsibility to fix whatever is wrong.
I am experiencing the same issue as everyone else, and this alternative route worked for me.
1) Download SmartStart 126.96.36.199.0
2) Download and Install 7Zip
3) Right click SmartStart 188.8.131.52.0 and select 7ZIP >> Open Archive
4) Highlight the $PLUGINSDIR folder and Extract
5) Find and Run the XeroxSmartStart Application
Xerox please fix this as soon as possible because we have 300 clients at our premises and we need to install the driver of the printer to their laptops. Previous driver was working fine and new update doesn't even start. When you try to install the old one it doesn't even let you to install it because there is a new version. You should test your drivers before releasing to public. This is unacceptable and it impacts my work.