cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Googaliser New Member

7800 Firmware Issue

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have a Phaser 7800DX that has worked faultlessly from new.

Previous firmware upgrades via web browser have been successful.

Last night, I tried to upgrade from firmware: 081.150.103.29600 to 081.150.108.08600

The upgrade was not successful - either from USB or web browser

The printer appeared to accept the package but briefly flashed 'print deferred' or similar and then ignored the file.

The latest 7800 firmware was downloaded via the April 2018 SHA-1 Notice bulleting here: https://www.xerox.com/downloads/world/e/Expiration_Affected_Products_and_Solutions_EN.pdf

My suspicion is that the package is faulty. 

Grateful for guidance on the likely issue or preferably a link to where I can get an installable version of 08600

Thank you and kind regards,

0 Kudos
8 Replies
gabiene Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: 7800 Firmware Issue

Jump to solution

Hi,

Try the procedure below:

To prepare the USB thumb drive for an AltBoot restore, create an ALTBOOT folder, in the root directory. The folder name must be all uppercase. Next, using Notepad or similar utility, create a zero-length file in the ALTBOOT folder called FORCED_UPGRADE with no extension. Again, this file must reside in the ALTBOOT folder and be named exactly as shown. Finally, copy the latest firmware file (*.dlm) to the ALTBOOT folder.

1. Turn the printer Off.

2. Insert the prepared USB thumb drive in the USB Port on the printer’s rear panel.

3. Turn the printer On. The printer reads the USB port and begins the restore process.

1. The splash screen displays the ENERGY STAR logo while the printer reads the thumb drive.

2. The restore process begins with Check Firmware Version being displayed.

3. Next, the Software Upgrade screen is displayed. Depending on the system configuration (Trays, Finisher) the process can require approximately 20 minutes. The Software Upgrade screen changes to reflect the current subsystem being restored.

4. After the firmware update process is complete, the AltBoot Complete screen is displayed instructing you to remove the USB thumb drive.

4. Remove the USB thumb drive from the printer’s USB Port.

5. Wait for the printer to reboot and return to Ready To Print.

And be sure the software level to be between # like this #081.150.108.08600#.dlm.Good luck!
  6. Gabi
Googaliser New Member

Jump to solution

Hi Gabi,

Thank you for your guidance.

I followed your suggestion. The new FW failed to load and instead went into a power cycle loop.

I then tried your method with an older FW version that is known to work - and the ALTBOOT worked.

This ruled-out an error in following your instructions - the technique as you describe it works.

I then tried the new FW a second time and the Phaser hung. A new power cycle resulted in the dreaded green splash screen and nothing else. No sounds - just a green screen.  ALTBOOTS with the working FW appeared to install - but upon a power cycle - back to the green screen. I was now able to add a Phaser 7800 to the short list of tech products I had successfully bricked. 

A quick scan of this forum indicated that the green screen is reasonably fatal. But I live in Perth, Australia, so a Xerox service centre isn't really an easy option. 

I am pleased to report though that I was able to fix my Phaser. It seems that the hard drive can be a weak point (the manual power cycle might have taken it out). Luckily I had an old 2.5mm platter drive next to the printer (from an old laptop). Pulled the motherboard out (2 thumbscrews) - replaced the HDD (4 screws), reinstalled and the did the ALTBOOT procedure with the old FW. Amazingly, it sprang back to life - please note that this was a regular drive (not a Xerox one) - and had a windows OS on it.

What is now clear though is that the new FW doesn't work. I would be grateful if Xerox could email me a link for the working package.

Gabi: thanks again for your help. Other readers: be careful with this procedure, it is not without risks. And the green screen of death may not be fatal if you have a spare HDD lying around

0 Kudos
Valued Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience, but sometimes the HDD may fail.

Gabi

fiery Occasional Advisor
Occasional Advisor

Jump to solution

FYI

You can't make big jumps to a newer version on this product. I'm not sure what the versions are but you need a bridge version in some cases.

0 Kudos
Googaliser New Member

Jump to solution

Hi Fiery,

Thank you for your note - this, of course, makes sense.

Do you (or anyone else) know of FW versions in between 081.150.103.29600 and 081.150.108.08600 ?

The FW history for the 7800 is opaque to me and the FW notes do not speak to version history. I use the machine privately.

Xerox: Better transparency would encourage me to buy future Phaser products. Not every user is a large corporate with an expensive maintenance contract !

Thank you,

0 Kudos
Valued Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi Fiery,

You have right if you do an ordinary upgrade (CWIS or usb thumb drive upgrade), but using the ALTBOOT method and with FORCED_UPGRADE file in it, you can jump from/to what  version you want (up or down), with condition to not have an broken Board or HDD, or corrupted software file.

Gabi

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi Googalister,

Send me please a PM with your email address.

Googaliser New Member

Jump to solution

Hi Gabi - thank you so much for all your help, which has allowed me to update to the latest FW for my Phaser 7800.

You are a star !