I just cut and pasted those notes from the release notes and can't confirm them as I am not currently in an office running the 7500.
All Phaser 7500 run that firmware, the end letters make no difference.
When I get access to a 7500 I will try and confirm the directions, probably Monday at the earliest.
Sorry for the back and fourth. The file downloaded did not contain any other file other than the .ps file.
In following the first set of instructions at #4 there isn't a button to 'File Download'. The only option is to select a help topic and the printer will print out that help page.
However I did find a 'File Download' page when reviewing the 'Index' located at ( xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/filedownload.html ) which has a browse file field and blue square button. The page text reads
"Select a print-ready file (PostScript, PCL, or Plain Text) and click the print button."
Is this the same section that is referenced in step #5?
ALSO I shoud mention that my printer is the Phaser 7500DT (DT).
Should that make any difference in the firmware you referenced?
It should be in the release notes, if not:
Read before beginning the firmware update:
* Do not interrupt system once download is in process. Interruptions or loss of power may corrupt the engine firmware and render the system temporary unusable. (Service repair may be required to return the system to a working condition.)
* Some of the device’s settings may be changed from their present value back to the factory default values by the firmware update. It is recommended customers save the configuration page and use it as a reference to restore the device’s settings after the firmware update is complete.
To print the configuration page:
1. Press the System button on the device control panel.
2. Press the down arrow key to scroll to the Configuration Page item and press OK.
3. The device will print two-three pages of configuration information.
Note: The firmware versions currently installed are displayed on the left column on the first page, under the General Information heading.
Updating the firmware over a network connection
To download a file to the device using CentreWare Internet Services (Windows and Mac):
CAUTION: It is imperative that no print jobs be submitted to the printer while the code is being updated via CentreWare Internet Services.
NOTE: CWIS can only be accessed if the device is connected to a network that utilizes the TCP/IP protocol. The device must also contain a valid IP Address.
1. From a computer, open an Internet web browser.
2. Enter the Phaser device's IP Address in the Address field, and then press Enter.
3. Click on the Print button.
4. Click on the "File Download" link in the list of options on the left side of the window.
5. Depending on the browser being used, click on the Browse or Choose File button, and then browse to and
select the file to be downloaded to the device.
6. Click on the blue, square button to send the file to the Phaser device.
To download a file to the device using FTP (Windows and Mac):
NOTE: To perform this solution, the device must be connected to a network that utilizes the TCP/IP protocol. The device must also contain a valid IP Address.
1. Open the Command Prompt (Windows) or Terminal window (Mac).
2. Type in "ftp xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx", where the x characters represent the IP Address of the device, and press Enter.
3. Press Enter at the prompt line that contains "Name (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:user):"
4. Type in "put /location/of/file.ps", where the full file name and path are entered. If you drag and drop the FW file you are sending into the window (after “put “), the full path and file name will populate.
5. Press Enter and the file will be transferred to the Phaser device over FTP.
Updating the firmware over a USB connection
To download a file to the printer using the Xerox File Downloader Utility (Windows):
NOTE: This solution assumes the Xerox File Downloader Utility has already been downloaded and installed on the computer.
Windows Xerox File Downloader Utility : XeroxFileDownloaderUtility
1. From the computer, open the Xerox File Downloader Utility. By default, the utility is installed in the following location on the computer's hard drive: C:\File Downloader.
2. Select the required printer from the Select the printer to spool the file to from the list below pull‐down menu.
3. Click on the [Browse] button, and then browse to and select the file to be downloaded to the printer from the “Select the file to send to the printer” section.
4. Click on the [Send] button to send the file to the printer.
To download a file to the printer over USB from a Mac:
Firmware files can be downloaded to a Phaser device connected over USB by dragging the FW file to the print queue on an Apple Macintosh.