cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TStewncca New Member

Phaser 8860 locks up

I was given an 8860 used in an office. When I print I get great prints from the computer but when I try to scan, copy, go to the system button, fax, etc there is a Manta Ray displayed on the LCD display. It is then locked up and will not operate. It is cured by restarting the machine, that is until I press one of the other buttons. Huh? I have tried manuels, online trouble shooting, Xerox repair techs, and I get nowhere. 

I am using a PC with Win Vista, using a USB port with driver 5.58.10.0N 2008.03.13 installed 5/1/20011

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Xerox Employee JohnM-Xerox
Xerox Employee

Re: Phaser 8860 locks up

Hello TStewncca,

Have you tried to upgrade your Firmware?  I saw the driver version that you are using and that version is on Xerox.com however the date that you have is 2 months older than what appears on the Xerox website.  It might be worthwhile to look into this and possibly update the driver(s) too.  If, after you have updated the firmware and drivers, you still have a problem, then post back here to this thread telling us exactly what you did and how you did it.  We will try to figure out what may be the issue.

John

0 Kudos
TStewncca New Member

I upgraded the firmware and checked for newer driver. All up to date and after warming up and the machine delivering a beautiful test print, I press any button (copy, fax, scan, system, print) and I get a manta ray in the LCD. I can send you a picture if you wish. It seems to have an error code of F130001R. Rebooting puts it back into a great printer but nothing else. Same as before upgrading the driver and firmware.

0 Kudos
Xerox Employee

Let's focus on the error code that you have.  F130001R is not the correct format for a fault / error code.  Where do you see the F130001R?  Does the display screen show this number?  If so, when does it appear?  Do you have to send a print job to the machine or do you walk up to it to make a copy job and then the code shows up?  Knowing the answers to these questions will help me figure out what is going on with your machine.

John

0 Kudos
TStewncca New Member

The code is in the upper left corner of the Manta Ray mentioned before, I have a picture but how do I get it to you? It does not lock up when I send print jobs from the computer only when I touch buttons on the unit itself. The Manta Ray seems to be the odd thing here, oh figured it out, Here is  the pic. manta.jpg

0 Kudos
Xerox Employee BenjaminG-Xerox
Xerox Employee

TStewncca,

The code show on the panel isn't really a valid system fault code, which essentially just means there's no meaning associated with it. It sounds like a processer or controller error of some kind, and since it seems to happen only when performing tasks using the scanner, I suspect the error lies within the scanner controller.

The first thing I would recommend is to check the configuration page from before and after the firmware update was performed and make sure the scanner FW was also updated, and not just the engine FW. You can locate this under the scanner section on the first page, under firmware versions. IIT = the scanner, and FF = the DADF firmware. They should match, and I beleive the latest version is .64.

If they are a newer version compared to the config page from before the update, then it is likely a controller failure of some type. I would recommend contacting the support line, I would start with replacing the scanner and possibly the Hard Drive, but if the error continues it will need service.

Hope that helps!

0 Kudos
Xerox Employee BenjaminG-Xerox
Xerox Employee

Oh, and one additional thing, you may wish to try an NVRAM (system) reset before anything else. It may just be a glitch in the controller and often times performing a system reset will clear these glitches and may save you some time having to call in for service.
0 Kudos
TStewncca New Member

I'll check the scanner firmware as well, How do I perform the reset NVRAM?

0 Kudos
Xerox Employee

Hello TStewncca,

Click here for the Phaser 8860MFP Knowledge Base where you can get the step-by-step instructions for resetting the NVRAM in your machine.

When the new page opens, simply type "NVRAM reset" without the quotes, into the search field and then click search.  This will display the solution for How To Reset the NVRAM.

John

0 Kudos
TStewncca New Member

it will not allow me to access any command via the pad controls, I again get the Manta ray and need to reboot

0 Kudos