cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jdyck

Altalink series (B/C8X55, C8170, others) pdftops issues over Airprint from MS apps

Product Name: AltaLink B8145 / B8155 / B8170 Multifunction Printer
Operating System: Apple iOS

I'm with a school district where we have about 57 different Xerox devices - mostly Altalink B8055, B8075, B8155, C8155 and C8170s.  We're pretty much 99% an Apple environment with about 2/3 iOS and 1/3 macOS.

We're having a LOT of issues between Microsoft apps and our Xerox printers over Airprint.

We have Linux CUPS print servers that generally provide our print queues via Airprint, but for testing these issues we've bypassed those servers and are printing direct from the client machines to the Xerox copiers over Airprint. We've also tried Airprint printers from other vendors (specifically my personal Brother HL-2350DW), and even used the CUPS server to print to old postscript only printers where the PDFTOPS conversion routine happens on the server.

After days of testing, what we've found is that there seems to be some kind of bug that only happens between Microsoft apps and Xerox printers when printing over Airprint which seems to be related to the Xerox internal PDF to Postscript conversion routines.  The same documents print fine to non-Xerox  Airprint printers, and through the CUPS internal PDFTOPS conversion.

Specifically, the errors we are seeing fall into the following 2 types:

- From MS Word on iPads, many documents simply will not print, instead the copier prints out some variation of an error page noting a pdftops error on the printer. 

- From MS Word on Macs, the documents do print but will often have random parts of the document missing.  For example, there may be random lines of text missing, a placed logo that's only half printed, etc. 

In both cases, we can print the documents fine with a non-Xerox Airprint, or through CUPS to an older postscript printer where CUPS does the PDF to PS conversion. 

I have a currently open ticket with Microsoft - after a bunch of testing on their end they want me to bring the Xerox team in on this as they're pretty convinced the issue is on Xerox's side.  I would file a ticket but I'm finding it almost impossible to get that done - I'm with the IT team for our district but all our Xerox accounts and copiers are registered to individual school accounts I don't have acces to.

I'm hoping someone from your support team can reach out to me on this as our users are incredibly frustrated right now as printing is completely unreliable.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
CathyO-Xerox
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Altalink series (B/C8X55, C8170, others) pdftops issues over Airprint from MS apps

Hello jdyck,

This sounds like a pretty complex issue and would require some troubleshooting. Please call Support and ask to speak with 2nd Level Department: 1-800-821-2797

Thanks,
CathyO-Xerox
Community Manager

Be sure to click Kudos for those who have helped you.
Select Accept as Solution for posts that have helped to solve your issue(s)!
jdyck

Re: Altalink series (B/C8X55, C8170, others) pdftops issues over Airprint from MS apps

Thanks CathyO, I'll try calling on Monday.

0 Kudos