cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Best pratice to deploy drivers/driver settings to Mac's

We have many Mac's in our organization and now we have to enable XSA accounting for all of our Xerox's. 

I know we can manually install the drivers themselves. However, is there a good, reliable way to push out the driver config settngs to Mac users? I really don't want to sit down on each user's Mac, while they are logged in, to config the drivers for XSA.

Thanks for any help!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Valued Advisor
Valued Advisor

Re: Best pratice to deploy drivers/driver settings to Mac's

an easy way is to setup the .ppd file with notepad and roll out that .ppd with already the correct settings?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I've looked at that. 2 things I couldn't figure out.

1. Where do I put the .ppd file so OS X finds it when installing the Xerox. We would like to push out the printer with Workgroup Manager if we could. The users are not allowed (or supposed to) to install printers.

2. We need to have secure print enabled (another requirement). We found that with the custom ppd file, secure print is enabled, but the user has to enter the code everytime they print. Where as with a standard ppd, they just needed to enter the secure print code the 1st time.

Note: secure print and XSA codes are 2 different things.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Advisor
Valued Advisor

wrong topic :)

0 Kudos
Highlighted

You completely lost me now. :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Advisor
Valued Advisor

well, there must be some tool to deploy on mac

i saw it once when i meet an mac it'r

he did some changes on the ppd on 1 client, with that admin tool he choose the other macs where he wanted to deploy the changes he did in the ppd...

but i dont remember the name of it

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I found two ways that are supposed to work.

1.Manually install the printer. Configure your settings into a 'driver preset'. Save the preset by printing something. Then upload the plist file to Workgroup Manager and associate to a OpenDirectory group. It's suppose to work but hasn't yet for me.

2. http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2804 is the 2nd way. This basically has you create a custom ppd file with the CUPS interface (surprised that Apple didn't lock that down!) and then you need to get that file out to all of your Macs. Then in Workgroup Manager push the printer out and tell it to use that ppd file by putting in a custom path. This works well so far. 

A couple of things:

You can set secure print as a default in method 1, but then everyone gets the same passcode.

Secure print with method two can be selected but doesn't ask for a passcode. Hence when users print, the print job just prints instead of being held. The user still has to manually set-up a code to get it to work correctly.

0 Kudos