cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Bug with Mac OS 10.15.4 and Phaser 7100 driver 5.5.2

Jump to solution

@MRCAnalyst wrote:

Otherwise you need to either edit the .ppd with all of your default settings included or do the following.

Install the printer.

Make your edits in CUPS to other defaults.

Edit the .ppd that the system generated on install to change the default tray as before.

Reinstall the printer using the custom .ppd. (this step might not be necessary)

Hi Jesse.

In the end, I edited all the defaults I normally change, inside the original installed PPDs, without touching them in CUPS web interface.

And that did the trick for now.

Just out of curiosity, where are the defautls saved after changing them in CUPS?

Thanks again.

Alberto

0 Kudos
Highlighted
FreeFlow User

Jump to solution

Hi TimTim,

You did the correct thing by notifying Apple of the importance of this. I wasn't going to let this issue go so easily and I had a meeting with some of the people in driver development for Xerox. What I was told is that they will not be releasing a driver to address this since the problems started due to changes that Apple made to the way things work in macOS. The Xerox driver for macOS supports so many models that the time for quality assurance testing would be incredibly long for them to address this through a new driver. They have had discussions with Apple and were given assurance that the changes in macOS that caused this will be modified in macOS 11 when it releases later this year. While they feel confident that Apple will also make that change for macOS 10.15, they weren't given the same level of assurance. Customers are encouraged to contact Apple to stress how important it is to see this changed if Catalina if we want to see that occur.

I installed the macOS 11 public beta late last night and as soon as I have a chance to get in to a demo room and do testing I will. With my current appointments that will be sometime mid to late next week.

Highlighted
FreeFlow User

Jump to solution

Hi Alberto,

Your question about where defaults are saved is a good question. When you create a new printer a .PPD with the same name gets written to /Library/Printers/Xerox/PDEs. However for some reason I wasn't seeing that occur in the last few revisions of macOS 10.15. So if you're not seeing that file and you're on say 10.15.4 or later then I don't know the answer. I just created a test printer in macOS 11 and that .ppd did get written in that directory as expected again.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thanks MRCAnalyst,

It's good to know that the Apple Team is aware of the problem, and that a fix will be provided with Big Sur. Unfortunately, we mostly wait until the new major release of macOS is really stable until we upgrade our fleet. If there isn't a fix for Catalina we will probably have to deal with this issue until the end of the year.

But since there are also some memory leaks in 10.15.6 (not related to Xerox) my hope is that they will slipstream a fix in Catalina as well. 

I have a Big Sur beta running as well, but not at the office, so testing will be difficult. Maybe i should send our Xerox WorkCentre 7835 to my home...just for testing ;)

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

10.15.6 Supplemental update has been released yesterday, which unfortunately doesn't address this issue, at least according to my testing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thanks for the thread, and to MRCAnalyst (Jesse), for the workaround fix.

This was really frustrating with my MBP, OSX 10.15.6 (now), and my ColorQube 8580DN, because I was trying to fix this with multiple variations of deleting and then reinstalling the printer driver.

However, after reading MRCAnalyst's workaround post in this thread, I located the gzipped PPD file in /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources for my printer, filename "Xerox ColorQube 8580DN.gz", and then double clicked it, which unzipped it to my Downloads folder. Opening it with TextEdit, I then located the line with;

*DefaultInputSlot:

(line 813), and then edited it to read;

*DefaultInputSlot: automatic

I also edited the following line;

(Line 13) *NickName: "Xerox ColorQube 8580DN-2, 5.6.0"

adding the -2 to the description name so I can find it in the Printer list. Then I saved it with the filename of "Xerox ColorQube 8580DN-2", and moved the file to the /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources folder.

Then I just added a new printer to my system, selected the entry for Xerox ColorQube 8580DN-2, and after installing, it will now finally, print from the installed tray correctly.

Thanks again all.

Highlighted
Agency Analyst
Agency Analyst

Jump to solution
This just worked on 3 different Macs with drivers varying from 5.5.0, 5.5.2 and 5.6.0! Thanks a ton!!!!!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
FreeFlow User

Jump to solution

All of the positive feedback on my response from everyone has been very rewarding for me. It seems like most of the replies came from people that are familiar with macOS and CUPS so you haven't had much trouble following my directions. My company asked me to test record a short video on a new platform that we started using recently and I chose this as my topic for the video. The video can be viewed at the link below.

macOS Catalina PPD editing video 

We aren't doing too well with COVID numbers in California where I reside and new restrictions were put in place for our facilities, so I still haven't been able to do testing on macOS 11. As soon as I am able to I will update this thread and start a new forum post. I can say that Xerox drivers install but printer plugins (Xerox Features) do not work currently in the beta. Drivers from EFI (Fiery) will not install at all for me. It is a beta OS so I'm not putting any expectations on vendors to deliver anything until it releases officially.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Not to add more fuel to this ongoing battle on Apple vs Xerox but it seems MS Word as noted works fine. And we use that app to generate printer default settings to enable Xerox accounting that we used to be able to share with other apps like Acrobat DC.  Now that strategy is dead (at least as far as I can see it via testing to date). One of our team has been doing custom PPD's for his college for packaged installs for a while and that may end up one solution. But that is a lot of work to fix a new bug and not all our user base (we are a state University of five colleges and many programs and departments). I bet more of you are like us too.

If some one has a direction we can point this in, maybe we should take up that cause?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
FreeFlow User

Jump to solution

It sounds to me like a network accounting solution would be a worthwhile investment for your organization. I won't even recommend a particular solution, any network accounting solution seems like it will pay for itself in time saved supporting users printing.

Xerox Workplace Cloud/Suite, PrinterLogic, PaperCut, Equitrac, etc.

That won't resolve the tray issue that this post is about but it will alleviate your issues with Xerox Standard Accounting.

In regards to the tray issue and my interim solution. Since it sounds like you have some knowledgeable people on staff you might want to experiment with what I hypothesize is a more graceful way to fix it. Rather then just changing the default tray in the .PPD actually add a new tray (InputSlot) to the list and define that as the default. That should retain the ability to edit defaults in CUPS without undoing the fix for the tray call problem. I worked that up but our facilities have been closed since I did that and I don't like detailing a solution that I haven't validated personally.

When I looked in to why this issue doesn't occur with an EFI driver when printing to the same Xerox models that I used to identify the problem initially that's what I discovered. EFI drivers have a separate tray defined in the .ppd for automatic. That means that you see 2 listings in the tray selection for automatic, but it is not affected by this change that Apple made. It's not as aesthetically pleasing but it maintains functionality despite the changes due to the recent update.

Thanks for your input and good luck!