cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sgitadmin New Member

ColorQube 8580 Wireless Network

Jump to solution

Hello,

Our office just bought a Xerox ColorQube 8580 printer. We run on a wireless network and our other printers are already connected wirelessly. In the Startup Printout page it says 802.1x: DISABLED ... How can I enable the printer to connect to our wireless network? I could not find the setting anywhere. Are you required to buy an accessory or something??

Thank you for your time!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Analyst Nation Moderator Joe053204-hcl
Analyst Nation Moderator

Re: ColorQube 8580 Wireless Network

Jump to solution

802.1X is security, not Wireless.

The 8580 isn't wireless, so it has to be physically wired in.

Assuming the gateway is the same as the Wireless LAN, or the Lans are bridged properly, everything wired should see all that is wireless.

To test that, you take the printer IP address and put it in the address bar of whatever web browser you use on the mobile.

If it brings up the webpage in the device you have connectivity.

But if you can't set it wired, you need a wireless device. Xerox has this one.

Please be sure to select "Accept Solution" and or select the thumbs up icon to enter Kudos for posts that resolve your issues. Your feedback counts!

Joe
0 Kudos
sgitadmin New Member

Jump to solution

Joe,

At our office we do not have a wired network, only a wireless router which is far from where the printer will go. This is why we need it to be wireless compatible. The Xerox product you mentioned has the capability to make the ColorQube 8580 into a wireless network printer? EG I plug that in and the router DHCP gives the printer an IP address and anyone on the wireless network can print to the Xerox printer. Correct? Because that is what we are looking for.

We won't need a printer server or anything else right?

Thank you for your help, Joe.

"802.1X is security, not Wireless.

The 8580 isn't wireless, so it has to be physically wired in.

Assuming the gateway is the same as the Wireless LAN, or the Lans are bridged properly, everything wired should see all that is wireless.

To test that, you take the printer IP address and put it in the address bar of whatever web browser you use on the mobile.

If it brings up the webpage in the device you have connectivity.

But if you can't set it wired, you need a wireless device. Xerox has this one.

Please be sure to select "Accept Solution" and or select the thumbs up icon to enter Kudos for posts that resolve your issues. Your feedback counts!

Joe."
0 Kudos
Analyst Nation Moderator

Jump to solution

The device itself gets an IP address from your router, you print to it, and it sends the print to the printer.

Joe
0 Kudos
sgitadmin New Member

Jump to solution
Yes I understand that. I read multiple stories about the wireless adapter so I wanted to make sure it was what we were looking for, as it is $200.

We definitely won't need to use Xerox CentreWare or any of those server applications to configure it thought correct? As we do not have anything that can run it.

Thanks, Joe.
0 Kudos
Analyst Nation Moderator

Jump to solution

It's a standalone device. You hook it up to a PC/Laptop, configure it and put it on the Wireless via a built in web page.

All it needs is an outlet to plug the power into, Everything else is in the box. You don't install any software.

Joe
sgitadmin New Member

Jump to solution
Joe,

Sounds like what we want. So we configure then install it to the Ethernet port on the printer and it becomes a wireless network printer? Last confirmation I swear !

Thanks again Joe!
0 Kudos
Analyst Nation Moderator

Jump to solution

Yes

Joe
0 Kudos