cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
brgnewman New Member

Disable "Xerox Update" Pop-Up Windows?

How do I disable the "Xerox Update" window from popping up on user's workstations? 

Capture.PNG

This window comes up when the user first logs on, it then appears when a user attempts to print from an application (such as MS Word, MS Excel, etc), and then appears if a user attempts to change the print settings on their workstation. During the process, the window closes and reopens about 3 times. What's making this confusing is the fact there have been no changes on our print server since the user's last logon - so there is no reason for the driver to be requesting updates from the server before continuing. 

Workstations: Windows 7 Professional SP1 (x86), or Windows XP Professional SP3 (x86)

Print Server: Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise (x64)

Print Driver: Xerox Global Print Driver PCL6 (5.185.41.0N 2011.01.31)

Printers: Xerox Phaser 5550DT & Phaser 4510N

Printer Deployment Method: Through the "Print Management" console in Server 2008 R2 - using user -based GPOs (deploying the "Printer Connections" to our server).

7 Replies
Arjan New Member

Re: Disable "Xerox Update" Pop-Up Windows?

We have the same problem here.

At first we have updated the Xerox Global Print PS driver v5.125.11 to v5.185.42

After doing that we detected the update window problem.

Some users saw this window more than 10 times ans some others just 2 or 3 times.

After contacting Xerox they advised us to reinstall the driver on the printserver.

And that worked for us

Last week we have updated the Xerox Global Print PCL driver v5.125.11 to v5.185.42 and now we have on this server the update window problem. But reinstall of the driver does not solve the problem this time.

We contacted Xerox and now the advise is to install v5.216.12

That is something we do not like to do because Xerox does not know if that solves our problem and after installing the new version we have a difference in version between the 2 drivers.

What have you done to try to solve this problem ?

0 Kudos
Fabio Valued Advisor
Valued Advisor

thats not a xerox/driver issue

the problem is that you upgrade your print server, but some clients, so at that moment all clients needs to synchronize with the server

but if a spooler was in use on the client, windows fails to upgrade the driver on the pc, i even notice this after a reboot... it keeps failing...

so what you need todo =

on client side, remove printer, restart spooler, remove the driver in the server properties (client) , then readd the driver, then it will install a brand new version...

in the futuru when you upgrade your server, use windows scripting to remove printer AND drivers on clients when logon

success

0 Kudos
Arjan New Member

@Fabio

Thanks for your answer but i think your answer is not correct, maybe i had to give more information.

We have this problem at our citrixfarm where we have installed the new driver version. All our citrix servers have the same version xerox printdriver as the printserver. So the story of synchronize with the printserver is not the issue.

But we have also this problem on desktops and laptops. And the problem still exists when we first delete the printdriver at the desktop and install the new version manual.

And the problem also exists on our printserver. There we also get the update window when you want to change some settings or want to view the properties of the printqueue

0 Kudos
Fabio Valued Advisor
Valued Advisor

thats strange, then i dont know :)

0 Kudos
PNHughes New Member

Hi Arjan.

We experienced this problem in testing when preparing to upgrade the version of the GPD on our print server.  In our experience, it resulted from a driver version mismatch between the server and client.

In our case, all clients were printing to 7345 units, which we replaced with 7545's.  During the replacement, we were forced to upgrade our GPD from version 5079.900.0.0 (6/5/2008) to 5216.1200.0.0 (6/10/2011) in order to get the GPD to "see" all capabilities of the new 7545s.

In tests in which we did not completely remove the old version of the GPD before adding new, we saw this "Xerox Update" behaviour.

The solution, in our case, was as follows:

Print Server

-delete all old printers

-restart print spooler

-remove old and unnecessary print drivers from Server Properties

-add new GPD from Server Properties

-add new printers using new GPD

Clients

-delete all old printers

-restart print spooler

-remove old and unnecessary print drivers from Server Properties

-add new printers from Print Server

When following the above procedure reliably, we eliminated the Xerox Update behaviour described in this thread.  (We employed a set of scripts to perform this upon login for all users.)

I have no experience with Citrix, so cannot comment on that part of the issue, but in my experience, even the above is not 100% reliable for completely removing an old driver, as the old version still shows up in the list of drivers installed on our print server when adding a printer.  I've inserted an image below to show what I mean.

Hope this helps.

driver_versions.png

0 Kudos
Arjan New Member

Hello PNHughes,

Thank you for your answer.

So you deleted all the printqueues on the printserver ?

In our case we had to delete about 200 printqueues and create them again after installing the new driver. That is something you do not want to do in the production environment.

We have several Xerox Workcentre MFP's and also some Xerox Phaser models.

And because of that we have chosen for the GPD driver, and now we want to use some new models Workcentre MFP's we have to install the new driver, same reason as you.

But i dont think, delete all printqueues and create them again is the way of updating your Xerox printdriver.

0 Kudos
PNHughes New Member

Hey Arjan.

I agree completely that we should not have to go through this process to ensure a proper update to the print driver.  In my experience, however, these steps are simply what's necessary to ensure a clean result.  We have learned the hard way not to trust that installing the update at the server will "just work".  We test every time we deploy new gear in the hope that progress has been made.  We are still Windows 2003 server with XP clients, so perhaps in 2008/Win7 things are better in this way. 

In a recent deployment, we had an opportunity to speak with a senior Xerox team lead from their Remote Support area.  These are the teams they deploy to perform driver installs and updates for customers without their own support resources.  We explained our process to this resource and asked point-blank if there was a better way, but he confirmed that they do essentially exactly the same thing in their installs.

I've subsequently heard from field technicians that they are not particularly fond of the Global Print Driver, and whenever possible they deploy a strict PostScript driver to resolve printing and performance issues, with great success.  The drawback, they advised, is that Xerox is focusing more of its development efforts on maintaining the Global driver, and that the strict drivers see fewer updates as a result.  To me, this makes perfect sense as a line-of-business decision, but ignores the complexity of updating in-place driver installations cleanly.  That, however, is a topic for a separate thread.  :)

0 Kudos