cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnathonbeals New Member

Error when Printing Arabic Script

We have a Phaser 4510DT printer in our lab. A student attempted to print a document with Arabic script in it, and recived a printout with this error:

ERROR: invalidfont
OFFENDING COMMAND: show

STACK:

(+)

This printer is in a foreign language lab, and so I expect this error to come up again. I have a copy of the PDF document that caused the error, and it reliably gives this error every time I try to print it from this printer.

Thank you for any help. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies

Re: Error when Printing Arabic Script

Bump. Anyone?

0 Kudos

Re: Error when Printing Arabic Script

Still bumping. Anyone?

0 Kudos
xerox_user New Member

Re: Xerox products do not print arabic characters

yes. have a xerox-branded phaser 6130N model here.

the settings are slightly different on the printer, so it continues instead of failing when it cannot print the arabic characters. I am in a multi-ethnic area as opposed to an all-'white' one (laughs). Sounds ridiculous when a group of supposedly multi-national people maintain a company that does not support arabic or semetic languages out-of-the-box - when a 5+ year old HP 880C inkjet sitting near my desk just did - has no problem with it.

originally sent it a printer-font, switched to a truetype font, then an arabic-specific truetype font, and changed the postscript options for the font from automatic to other choices to no effect. This is basic black and white printing from word.

Get ••••••••••• (dots) instead of the arabic characters.

A google search on 'postscript arabic print' shows no identifiable issues on the first page of matches from Google. However a search on 'xerox arabic print' brings up your original post at or near the top. This is clearly a xerox-only issue. We don't have time to spend on companies whose 'lower' printer products don't print the basic character set, a large percentage of the people on the planet use. Other than that, the quality has been good from the printer and no reliability problems.

here is another bump with xerox-people plainly silent, after a month?!

0 Kudos
Fabio Valued Advisor
Valued Advisor

you can download a font tool to upload unknow fonts to the machine if this machine is capable of doing this

OR

Go in acrobat , go to advanced settings in print dialog , (not print settings) , then go to fons and resources

change send by section, to send by page ... that should work normally

0 Kudos
Highlighted
xerox_user New Member

hi thanks for replying fabio.

we really haven't had any other problems with the printer, so build quality has been amazing considering the junk turned out these days at the price levels of less than a half-ounce of gold. Didn't mean to sound ungrateful.

I know of what you are suggesting: higher-end printers can store the fonts downloaded fonts locally. I think this printer has a hard-drive option, however that is not installed on the standard 6130N. The RAM has been upgraded to the max, which is 1GB.

I have not tried to reproduce with a document from Acrobat. Using Word 2003.

All necessary fonts are installed at the workstation, as for fonts downloaded to the printer, this is handled by the driver which builds a complete Adobe Poscript Level 3 document for the printer. It seems the printer driver is not correctly taking the characters from whatever the particular application: Acrobat, Word, and transforming those characters into components of a proper postscript file. Clearly Xerox has only anglo-saxon programmers and customers (that's a laugh que..)

So it's not technically the printer's fault: the printer is printing whatever it receives. Adobe Postscript Level 3 is a very well-defined standard for over a decade. And since the driver is failing to merge the arabic type at the Windows driver level, this issue is a defect in the driver, not the printer.

As a former post indicated, numerous font-download options were tested from the defaults. None made any difference, including changing the font to a more arabic-specific one.

Test it out:

A common font, Arial, has an arabic character set. Type a few characters in Word 2003 or another application using Arial in arabic, then attempt to print to the OP's style of Xerox printer or the Phaser 6130.

0 Kudos

The irony for me is that we actually switched from an HP printer specifically because it was having issues printing PDFs with what I was told was a non-official Adobe driver, so we got the Xerox instead which, again, I'm told has a bona-fide Adobe postscript driver. That solved the previous problem we'd had (It was explained to me that it was a problem with the headers in the PDFs being too long or something), but which gave us this particular other problem instead. This problem is more localized, but imagine being in my position: running a lab for students of foreign languages to compose and print documents in their target language, and having to tell them, "sorry, our printer doesn't play well with Arabic." You can imagine how well that goes over with my few but dedicated Arabic students.

0 Kudos
xerox_user New Member

johnathon,

we'll get down to the bottom of this, you and me. I'm surrounded by mosques, so there's no reason the official script used by over a billion people should not print on a Xerox printer. I bet chinese prints. And actually I imagine arabic does print, they must sell these printers into markets like iran, sudan, and the rest of the 'axil of evil' a.k.a. non-IMF friendly Countries (tsk tsk, another good laugh!). I suppose Kim Jung Il or his successor has one on his desk; why not? Those Party posters look good in laser CMYK. The bright oranges are a muddy pumpkin, but it fits the mood.

One way you can definitely test to see if it is the driver, i imagine, is to choose 'Optimize for portability' in the driver options, and print to a file. Then install Ghostscript and GSView, two free applications which are 'open', and look at the output. Also try 'Encapsulated Postscript', and look at the output, again with GSView.

If the driver is the problem, it shows itself when you examine the 'Print to File' output with GSView: arabic script appearing as ••••••• in GSView is a give-away that the printer is  receiving ••••••, so it's printing ••••••.

The other perspective is historically, hardware labs have been head and shoulders above software labs at any given company of people. I think the reasoning is the software-side can catch-up after the 'amazing' hardware is released; while once hardware is out the door, it's gone and can't be 'tweaked'. Buggy video and sound drivers come to mind; all the Windows software patches.

I'm convinced it has to do with the rasterization of the application output into Adobe Postscript 3 where the failure occurs. Just going to test the theory myself...

0 Kudos
xerox_user New Member

yes. as I suspected no matter what the output options are chosen in the Xerox driver, 'Encapsulated Postscript', 'Optimize for Portability', and the TrueType download method from 'Automatic' to other methods, even 'Bitmap', the *driver* is outputting the dreaded ••••••••.

So at least this isn't the printer, jonathon, and we can expect, I hope, a fix from the software driver staff of Xerox.
0 Kudos
xerox_user New Member

as a quick fix, jonathon, maybe there is a generic postscript driver you can try with the xerox?

I seem to remember this from mac days: the whole point of having a postscript-certified/licensed printer plugged into appletalk was no matter the vendor, the 'basic' postscript driver of the mac could print to it.

For instance, you could whip out an old black&white 9" all-in-one mac with a floppy drive in the front, and assuming you could get it booted up and talking to an ethernet network (it had no USB), you could print from that computer directly to the Xerox, because the Xerox 'speaks' Postscript.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ12vNZ5yMY
0 Kudos