cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Analyst Nation Moderator Joe053204-hcl
Analyst Nation Moderator

FYI - Unable to install client drivers in some environments after MS hotfix KB3170455 is installed

Jump to solution

Xerox Second Level Support Notice – Microsoft Spooler Update KB3170445 breaks the ability to Install Print Drivers in Some Environments.

This communication to explain the findings of Xerox/Microsoft investigation regarding the impact after installing the Hotfix KB3170455. Xerox Development along with Microsoft have determined that the issue being seen, where one cannot install the print driver is related to the Microsoft Certificate, not the print driver, therefore, the impact does not only effect Xerox but other vendors as well. Xerox attended a conference with Microsoft on Thursday (8/11) and it communicated to Microsoft that this issue was severe. Microsoft had only a couple of escalations and they were from small/mid-size companies therefore did not know how serious the impact in the field was. Microsoft has raised this incident to a Priority A which involves 24/7 investigation. A solution from Microsoft is forthcoming. Microsoft has requested for customers who experience this issue to please call the problem in to their support and raise it against the hotfix KB3170455. The customer will receive the hotfix directly from Microsoft when it is available.

Microsoft states that unsigned print drivers, or print drivers that are not package aware will also cause this issue after applying KB3170455, therefore before reporting the problem to Microsoft, please ensure the Xerox print driver you are using is a Microsoft certified driver. Any print driver labeled WHQL on Xerox.com has been certified by Microsoft. Please supply Microsoft with the link to the hotfix when opening a ticket with them. Link to the hotfix: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3170455
Workarounds to the issue until resolution is provided;
1.) Remove KB3170455 until Microsoft has provided resolution.
2.) Due to the security importance of this hotfix, some may not wish to remove KB3170455. In this case, simply remove the hotfix from the client workstation posing the issue, install the desired printer, reboot the client workstation and re-install KB3170455. There have been no reported issues with printing after using this particular workaround.

Please be sure to select "Accept Solution" and or select the thumbs up icon to enter Kudos for posts that resolve your issues. Your feedback counts!

Joe
0 Kudos
16 Replies
Community Manager CherylO-Xerox
Community Manager

Re: FYI - Unable to install client drivers in some environments after MS hotfix KB3170455 is install

Jump to solution

Hi Joe,

Thank you for sharing this information. 

Thanks,
CherylO-Xerox
Community Manager

Be sure to click Kudos for those who have helped you.
Select Accept as Solution for posts that have helped to solve your issue(s)!

0 Kudos
Lukeh New Member

Re: FYI - Unable to install client drivers in some environments after MS hotfix KB3170455 is install

Jump to solution

Hi Joe

Do you know if Fuji Xerox will be publishing package aware v3 drivers? These would be compatible with this hotfix and would solve the problem.

Reinstalling hotfixes and printers on thousands of client pcs is not a viable option for many people, nor is uninstalling a security patch.

thanks

Luke

0 Kudos
Analyst Nation Moderator

Jump to solution

That would depend on the device and whether they (I have no access to them at all) are currently actively developing drivers for the device (I don't know their cycles)

That being said, it really doesn't seem to matter, we have tested fully signed package aware drivers from multiple vendors against this hot fix and have examples from many print vendors that still have the issue, and those drivers were like all signed drivers, signed by MS themselves.

Xerox is in contact with MS about the issue, but I don't have anything more I can state officially during the investigation.

Please be sure to select "Accept Solution" and or select the thumbs up icon to enter Kudos for posts that resolve your issues. Your feedback counts!

Joe
0 Kudos
Xerox Employee perfecto.gaspar
Xerox Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Joe,

Currently I'm facing this issue on one of our major customer. I've installed a Microsoft Certified Workcentre 7855 PS driver and it is working fine until this KB3170455 update. The printers will have an oflline status after this update. So normally we remove the printer and re-install it again. During re-installation I will have an error  like this below.

untitled.bmp

Customer is insisting this is a driver issue because they have  Xerox C70 with integrated Fiery. For this I'm using the the EFI C70 driver and ii doesn''t have this issue.

Further troubleshooting I did, if this is only occuring for Xerox driver. So I've installed a HP Universal PCL6 driver and this issue is NOT showing. I will leave you for the conclusion of this findings.

Kind regards,

Perfecto Gaspar 

0 Kudos
Analyst Nation Moderator

Jump to solution

A print driver doesn't decide if it can be installed or not, the OS you are installing it on does. This is an MS issue, not Xerox.

If you install the driver locally instead of from the server it works fine, since the only thing taken out of the equation in that case is the Windows based server, and the client, the driver and the MFP stay the same, again, this is not a Xerox issue.

So re-read the original post, if it doesn't apply to your setup, contact Xerox and go through official channels to spar the issue.

As a side note, the Offline message is an SNMP issue completely un-related to this post, just disable SNMP on the port (server-side) and it will come online.

Capture.GIF

And as an additional note, installing an HP driver when you could just as easily have used a Xerox PS, Xerox PCL, Xerox PCL6 as well as Xerox GPD PS and PCL seems an odd move since all 5 of those drivers will not have the issue on any setup.

Joe
0 Kudos
d4ndouk New Member

Jump to solution

Hi

I don't suppose you have heard any more on this.  I'm currently in limbo as we have a 3600 printer without a packaged driver but have the MS Patch installed on security grounds.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Analyst Nation Moderator

Jump to solution

As far as we know MS is still working on it, they won't provide updates to Xerox on the matter unless we were in some way needed to resolve the issue. (Remember the issue happens on multiple vendors drivers that are/were digitally signed, packaged and certified by MS themselves.)

Your best bet is to

1: remove the patch, install the driver, re-apply the patch

2: install the driver locally on devices that give the error

3: wait for the fix from MS

Lot's of companies refuse to temporarily remove the patch, but that is up to them, they need to decide if a temporary patch removal is a bigger deal than not being able to print, or paying someone to locally install driver on client PC's.

Joe
0 Kudos
Lukeh New Member

Jump to solution

Hi d4ndouk

I found a workaround for this on a technet forum post. Its basically forcing the server to think the drivers are package aware so they can install without prompting. So far it seems to be working ok for us.

On the print servers registry go to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Enviroments\Windowsx64\Drivers\...\Driver name, change the PrinterDriverAttributes value to an odd number by adding 1 to it. I found the Fuji Xerox printers were nearly all 0 so I made them 1. A few were 4 so I made them 5. Then restart the spooler.

Hopefully Fuji Xerox update the drivers soon so this isn't necessary. I see Canon have promised to update their drivers within the next couple of weeks :)

Luke

0 Kudos
Analyst Nation Moderator

Jump to solution

Xerox Second Level Support Notice Microsoft Spooler Update KB3170445 breaks the ability to Install Print Drivers in Some Environments.

September 6th/2016

Problem/Behavior;

When attempting to install a printer from a Microsoft Windows 2012 R2 print server on a client workstation, the printer installation will fail with error code 800f024b.

Can occur with the following environments;

Print Server – Server 2012 R2

Client – Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, Windows RT, Windows 10.

Cause;

This notification is to explain the findings of Xerox/Microsoft investigation regarding the impact of installing valid signed print drivers after installing the Hotfix KB3170455. Xerox Development along with Microsoft have determined the issue being seen, where one cannot install a signed, package aware, print driver is related to a missing hotfix on the print server (Server 2012 R2) prior to installing KB3170455 on both the print server and client workstations. Microsoft hotfix KB300850 must be installed on the 2012 R2 print server prior to installing KB3170455.

When KB300850 is not installed on your 2012 R2 print server prior to installing KB3170455, a signed, package aware, print driver installation will fail on client work stations with the following error in your event viewer;

Microsoft has committed to ensure they add information on KB3170005 referring customers to KB300850 if they see issues installing valid signed drivers.

Solution;

- Remove hotfix KB3170455 from the 2012 R2 print server.

- Install hotfix KB300850 on the 2012 R2 print server.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3000850

- Re-install hotfix KB3170455 on the 2012 R2 print server. https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/MS16-087

**Note** The procedure above will require a restart of the print server.

For additional information regarding the KB installation and/or questions around behaviors please contact Microsoft @ http://support.microsoft.com/

Joe
0 Kudos