Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Fiery External - Virus protection

Jump to solution

We have been a week with constant issues, lockups, color is totally shot

- re-install daily. Adding a antivirus shows no sign of a virus but I would like to know what constitutes a locked down Fiery that Viruses can not get into it just in case, but that still allows printing to it.

Ken

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Valued Advisor
Valued Advisor

Re: Fiery External - Virus protection

Jump to solution

what virusscanner have you installed on your fiery?

maybe you can exclude the fier folders from your antivirus tool?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Jump to solution

I have been told not to use any antivirus system on the Fiery byXerox.

As I have a clone (ghost) of drive from 1 and 2 years ago I did add Avast and ran a complete check of the clone which stated no Virus found - however when trying to do a color calibration Avira warned about sp.exe - unfortunately a valid file in the Fiery but the name of a Keylogger virus as well. I thus reloaded the Clone known to be virus free and left Avast off.

Therefore I am asking what ports may be blocked so only print jobs are submitted and scan jobs submitted.

I don't know that the problem is a virus, we have also had memory errors show up as the system was rebooting but I have ran a overnight memory check and not experienced an error -of course if this memory on something like a network card it probably would not have been checked with the memory test.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Advisor
Valued Advisor

Jump to solution

well , print ports are basted on raw or lpr , that uses 9100 or 515

how do you scan? is that through smb ftp? that you can use port 139 or 21

if you retrieve by webinterfave , then you need the http ports 80 and 443 if ssl is used

grtz

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Jump to solution

We have a driver to Print and separate setup to Hold so I guess we use 9100 and 515

The scan is done at the copier - we have been using FieryScan to  bring them to the workstation, though sometimes twain.

But can a virus get on to the Fiery with the default settings if one doesn't use it to go on the WEB., that is if one only uses it as a printer, scanner?

Alternatively is their any way to Virus protect the device - alternatively Zone Alarm to check whats trying to send?

Ken

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Advisor
Valued Advisor

Jump to solution

no idea, efi doesnt want virus scanners on the rips, there must be a reason for ir :)

they even suggest to disable the firewall on the rip :)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Jump to solution

I don't think we had a virus, likely the methods of sending print jobs and scanning are not condusive  - the problem was somewhat resolved by the tech taking the battery out that backs up the CMOS on the motherboard of the Fiery - after that a disk install was somewhat possible but the Xerox supplied disks appeared to be faulty, not allowing him to see any files on the disk. So the tech had to finish using my cloned disks.  But the constant re-boots are gone.

There was still a color issue of a file previously printed in Corel Draw that now looks flat and lifeless even after calibration. I have been hoping to spend more time analyzing the issue as the fuser section of the copier was having issues where the heat was not up to standard and that of course affects color.

Lastly I tried again to do a reinstall from original disks and the issue of not booting from them is again their - it makes me think that perhaps the battery for backup of CMOS should have been replaced. - I have no final answers yet but for anyone having constant reboots and screwed up color or other virus like issues I suggest having the tech replace the CMOS battery with a new one as a start. Now if only Xerox will supply proper disks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Jump to solution

I realized that the Fiery could read my CD but not DVD so suggested Xerox tech replace the DVD player. This was the fault of it not being able to boot the system disk.

Fault requiring removal of CMOS battery to fix lockups of Fiery and kicking out from Fiery RIP

I ended up where I began, running ClamWin Antivirus nightly in Report Only mode - so if I ever get a reported virus I can boot from my www.redobackup.org disk and restore a perfectly functioning Clone of system that I have had for some time.

Ken

0 Kudos