cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Force black and white printing from mobile devices

Jump to solution

On the AltaLink series Is there a way to restrict IPP Jobs (Google Cloud Print, AirPrint, Mopria jobs) to just black and white? Or to automatically convert all IPP to b&w? 

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Valued Advisor
Valued Advisor

Re: Force black and white printing from mobile devices

Jump to solution

That isn't possible.

Closest thing would be to set it to use XSA, then everyone on a PC would have to have a code set on the PC, or to prompt for one when using color. At which point the jobs that come without a code (ie the mobile jobs) would be done as an exception and print BW.

A convoluted mess really, but the only known method, what you are asking it to do, I can't imagine them developing solely because too many things use IPP and there isn't a good reason to exclude those jobs specifically as opposed to any job.

My guess is that it is in a common area in which it shows up to customers in a sort of retail location, but in that case I think they would just tell you to use a guest wireless(they don't do Airprint/MOPRIA) or set it to only accept jobs from specific IP addresses.

Please be sure to select "Accept Solution" and or select the thumbs up icon to enter Kudos for posts that resolve your issues. Your feedback counts!

Joe Arseneau
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

We actually do have XSA already enabled. And the mobile jobs are set to print as an exception, however they come out in color. Is there a setting I'm unaware of that will convert them to b&w? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Advisor
Valued Advisor

Jump to solution

Instead of excluding the IPP jobs you leave them accounted for, and then set an overrideso that if there is no account, it prints BW instead of deleting. Which of course means if you have people you don't want to be able to print at all it won't be a viable option.

1.JPG

2.JPG

Please be sure to select "Accept Solution" and or select the thumbs up icon to enter Kudos for posts that resolve your issues. Your feedback counts!

Joe Arseneau
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Still not able to get the results I want. I enabled the Job Override settings as you suggested, and disabled all exceptions, but using Airprint resulted in an error page about invalid accounting codes. I tried enabling just Guest Mode under exceptions, but this time Airprint resulted in a full color page. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Advisor
Valued Advisor

Jump to solution

It will only work if XSA is set to track color only, sorry.

Joe Arseneau
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution
Under Service Tracking we already have "Enable color tracking only" set.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Member
Valued Member

Jump to solution
This is interesting; in our office all AirPrint comes out mono no matter what you send the job as from mobile device. Choose colour still mono. That’s how we want it
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Advisor
Valued Advisor

Jump to solution

On yours, you would have set it to BW as default in CWIS/EWS, but that only works for Airprint (And is considered a bug that will probably get fixed), but it does not apply to MOPRIA or WiFi Direct, so it isn't a satisfactory answer to what CBHB asked.

Though it appears they may not be a satisfactory answer as mine does not seem to have worked they way it should.

Joe Arseneau
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Maybe I'm wrong but I would interpret...

"Color job received, user does not have permissions to print color job, then Print Job in Black & White"

... to refer only to a job that is received WITH an account code, but the account has color printing disabled in it's permissions. 

I noticed that when IPP Exception mode is turned on, it logs print jobs under the account "IPPExceptionUserID". Would it be possible to add this user and then restrict it to b&w only? 

0 Kudos