cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheGushi

Grinding noise at startup followed by 5 chimes and "reinsert yellow/cyan/magenta" toners

Product Name: WorkCentre 6515
Operating System: macOS 12 - Monterey

All,

When my printer boots, I hear a loud grinding noise as it tries to check the toner and do its self-test, invariably followed by asking me to remove/reinsert the cyan or magenta or yellow toner.  I've had this printer since April of 2020, and I've been through several toner cartridges (despite only printing 3000 pages total).

Worse still, I am attempting to GIVE THIS PRINTER AWAY on craigslist because I'm tired of this, and with an empty cyan toner (my third cyan toner, now), I cannot even factory reset the unit to remove my personal data from it.  Nor can I do any kind of firmware update (see my other post for that -- the utility claims Firmware Sent Successfully, but the printer does nothing).

IMG_1762.JPG

Some of those toners were not Genuine Xerox Toner because IT WAS 2020 and I was unable to afford a $200 yellow toner with a 5 week lead time so I could print black and white resumes.

I've read that apparently the warranty is voided if you even once use a non-genuine toner.  I'm at a loss as to how that could cause a grinding noise, but at this point I'm well beyond any warranty I would have bought.

Searching the Xerox site for any errors, seem to point at very different printers.

I don't know what anyone else can say here.  I bought Xerox because I was fearful of the HP/Canon/Epson inkjet lock-ins, and this is just...worse.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
draconicpenguin10

Re: Grinding noise at startup followed by 5 chimes and "reinsert yellow/cyan/magenta" tone

These particular error messages (fault codes 092-318, 092-319, 092-320) are ADC patch sensor errors, which means that not enough toner could be dispensed or transferred to the transfer belt to perform the internal color calibration routine. If it's making a grinding noise, the problem is likely to be caked-up toner in the dispensing mechanism. That would require a service call to fix.

0 Kudos
TheGushi

Re: Grinding noise at startup followed by 5 chimes and "reinsert yellow/cyan/magenta" tone

Wow!  Yes, at one point it did log error 092-320, which I googled, but only got results for a different printer.

What are my options for support calls on a device that's out of warranty?  Are they even a thing Xerox does?

I'll note I paid like $500 for this unit, I don't know what a service call would cost, but I can't imagine it's worth it.

When trying to use the "MySupport" option on xerox.com, they ask for things like customer number or order number or contract numbers, which I don't have.

IMG_1736.jpeg

0 Kudos
draconicpenguin10

It's probably not going to be worth it, but just to put it out there, the Xerox support number for the US and Canada is 1 (800) 835-6100.

0 Kudos