cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How to setup a monochrome only printer

Jump to solution
Operating System: Windows Server 2012 R2 x64

Can anyone advise how to configure a monochrome only printer linked to this device?  We've had constant problems with the driver not reverting back to B&W (xerox black and white conversion) after colour printing and the colour printing bill is too high.  The driver provided for these devices seems to conveniently play into the hands of the leasing company in terms of colour printing charges.

Printing from windows 10 x64 and print server on server 2012 R2

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Valued Advisor
Valued Advisor

Re: How to setup a monochrome only printer

Jump to solution

The driver provided for these devices seems to conveniently play into the hands of the leasing company in terms of colour printing charges.

While an Operating system will use the set printing preferences, most programs only do so on the first print, after that they use last used settings until the program has been restarted. Nothing is "conveniently playing into the hands of" any company. It is for the user, so when you print multiple times you don't have to set the settings every time. It doesn't matter what company you are dealing with, this will happen with every printer manufacturer and model that exists, and it will happen in Windows and OSX and Linux. If you really think people are "accidentally" using color, then install the driver twice, name one BW and the other Color, set their preferences/defaults to reflect the names and the issue won't happen.

Please be sure to select "Accept Solution" and or select the thumbs up icon to enter Kudos for posts that resolve your issues. Your feedback counts!

Joe Arseneau
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply.

That would not solve the problem unfortunately as the B&W printer would soon be used for colour and would remain in that state.  I would like to create a logical printer which cannot be changed to print in colour.  This is standard functionality in all the print drivers I've used in the past and the ability to configure this is sadly lacking in xerox devices.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Advisor
Valued Advisor

Jump to solution

Weird our experiences with the same brand are so different, with exception to some small desktop machines, every driver I have clearly has the option, when using Native driver, Global Print drivers, PS and PCL5 and PCL6 on any version of Windows. Here is my GPD, Connectkey,AltaLink, FujiXerox and Colorqube drivers all with exactly what you are talking about.

1.JPG

Please be sure to select "Accept Solution" and or select the thumbs up icon to enter Kudos for posts that resolve your issues. Your feedback counts!

Joe Arseneau
Highlighted

Jump to solution

That's working.  I never tried using that setting again after it didn't work on our previous print server.  Thanks for pointing it out.

0 Kudos