cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Florian New Member

OSX Mavericks 10.9.3 "no printers are available" Xerox Phaser 6140

Hi everyone,

I have a Phaser 6140 printer and when trying to print something today on my MacPro (late 2013 model) running Mavericks OSX 10.9.3 i can't get the printer to show up under the system preferences > printers & scanners", all i get is the messaeg "No printers are available Click Add (+) to setup a printer" When i click Add there is no printer to be added. When i install the 10.9.3 drivers i get the message that the drivers are installed succesfully but no printer shows up under the "printers & drivers" dialogue box.

Can someone please help me, i would really appreciate this, are there people whom are experiencing the same problems with this set-up? 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Florian New Member

Re: OSX Mavericks 10.9.3 "no printers are available" Xerox Phaser 6140

Can someone please help, i tried everything, i have even contacted xerox but the simply refused to help me or give me tips to make this printer work again, they said my machine was not under a support contract and therefor he could not help me out, to be honest i was kind of shocked that i did not get any help, am i not a customer? I payed for this printer but i guess that doesn't count unless i give them some more $$$

Does anyone know if there is another compatible driver that works on OSX 10.9.3? I also contacted apple but the told me i should take it up with xerox as it is their responsibility to provide drivers for the printers they sell.
0 Kudos

Hi Florian,
Thank you for using the Xerox forum.

You can always ask questions here regardless if your service agreement is expired or is still in effect.

I did not see the 10.9 drivers on the 6140 support page

http://www.support.xerox.com/support/phaser-6140/downloads/enus.html?operatingSystem=win7&fileLangua...

but the following indicates it is on the way. I would continue to check the 6140 support site

http://download.support.xerox.com/pub/drivers/Compatibility_Matrix/other/macosx/en/MacOSX10-8_Matrix...

Mitch Swetsky
Xerox Customer Tools & Social Media Moderator
CM_Cert_Logo_Color.png

Please be sure to select "Accept Solution" and or select the thumbs up icon to enter Kudos for posts that resolve your issues.
Your feedback counts!
0 Kudos
Florian New Member

Hi Mitchell,

Thank you for replying.

The 10.9 drivers are in fact on the drivers & downloads page...like i said i run OSX Mavericks and the the driver is there

Phaser 6140 Print Driver Installer Package for Mac OS 10.9

If there is not going to be a fix soon for this than this will be the last time i wil buy anything even related to Xerox...driver support wirth xerox is a big mess and i'll make sure to let everyone know to stay away from xerox. On the Apple forums there's loads of other people experiencing problems with xerox driver support for different models so i'm not the only one...ironicly my 59$ HP printer thats 5+ years old just simply works on mavericks...go figure 

0 Kudos
Account Deactivated

Hi Florian.

Please try these steps to resolve your issue.

NOTE: These steps assume that the printer is powered on and connected to your network correctly, and are for network-connected printers only. If your printer is connected via a USB cable, then see the USB connection steps below.

1) Download the installation package from here.

2) Double-click the installation package named “Phaser_6140_OS_10.9_Print_Installer.dmg” from your list of downloads. Double-click the 6140 Print Installer package file.

3) Continue through the driver installation. When prompted, you’ll be required to agree to the Software License Agreement. You’ll also be prompted for the system administrator username and password.

4) Once the installation has completed, open your list of printers by going to System Preferences and double-clicking Printers & Scanners.

5) Click the + button to Add a Printer.

6) Allow the operating system a few moments to find the Xerox Phaser 6140 in the list of available printers. If it is not found after a few minutes, then skip down to Step 8.

7) Click the printer labeled Xerox Phaser 6140 from the list of printers automatically discovered. Ensure that the line labeled “Use:” is set to Xerox Phaser 6140 PS v3.1. Skip down to Step 11.

8) Select the IP category at the top of the Add menu.

9) Enter the TCP/IP IP address or hostname of the printer. Please see the article here if you need assistance determining your IP address.

10) In the “Name:” field, enter the name “Xerox Phaser 6140 PS.” Ensure that the “Use:” field has properly been set to “Xerox Phaser 6140 PS v3.1.

11) Click the Add button. Your printer should now appear in the list of available printers. You may print documents normally.

For printers using a USB connection, please use the following steps:

NOTE: These steps assume that the printer is powered off and disconnected from the computer.

1) Download installation package from here.

2) Double-click installation package named “Phaser_6140_OS_10.9_Print_Installer.dmg” from your list of downloads. Double-click the 6140 Print Installer package file.

3) Continue through the driver installation. When prompted, you’ll be required to agree to the Software License Agreement. You’ll also be prompted for the system administrator username and password.

4) Once the installation has completed, open your list of printers by going to System Preferences and double-clicking Printers & Scanners.

5) Ensure the printer is connected directly to the computer using a USB cable. USB Hubs, docking stations, and extender devices may still work, but are not supported and so functionality is not guaranteed. Power the printer on.

6) The USB connected printer should immediately appear in the Printers & Scanners list. You may print documents normally.

These steps were documented by Andrew in our Second Level Support.

As mentioned by Mitch in his earlier post, you may always call the Support Center for further assistance at 1-800-835-6100.

I hope this helps you.

Please select "Accept Solution" and / or select the thumbs up icon to enter Kudos for posts that resolve your issues. Your feedback counts!
Thanks,
SandyP-Xerox
0 Kudos
Florian New Member

I do know how to install a driver...like mentioned before i completed all these steps numerous times...My USB connected printer does "NOT"  appear/show in the Printers & Scanners list....

0 Kudos
Account Deactivated

Hi Florian.

I'm sorry that you continue to have an issue with the drivers.  If you call support they can help.  They can remotely link to your pc using a secure line and assist with the install.  Please call 1-800-835-6100. 

Please select "Accept Solution" and / or select the thumbs up icon to enter Kudos for posts that resolve your issues. Your feedback counts!
Thanks,
SandyP-Xerox
0 Kudos
Florian New Member

Hi,

I'm not in the US, i'm living in Belgium Europe. When i contacted Xerox technical support they simply REFUSED to help me since i had not opted/payed for support on this printer...they asked me for the printers serial number when i gave it to them they said that they could not help me since i had no support contract on the printer...I'm writing an article about how customer un-friendly xerox is and its going up on my blog also and i'll make sure to post it on the Apple forums, its just wrong from a company like xerox to treat customers like this, what a disgusting move from Xerox, first take peoples money and when there's a problem we can move on unless we pay them some more money...

the number i contacted was the following:

http://www.xerox.com/about-xerox/contact-us/nlbe.html

0 Kudos

Hi Florian,
Thank you again for using the Xerox forum.

I am sure that Xerox wants you to print many pages on your device and to be very happy with it.

You have gotten several suggestions here, and can continue to seek assistance without paying more money, through this valuable community forum.

I would suggest that you try the solution (below) provided from Sandy, step by step to help us determine your issue and please post which steps did or didn't work.

Please ensure that the printer is Not on and Not connected until step 5 and that a standard single USB cable from PC to printer is used (at least to test functionality).

For printers using a USB connection, please use the following steps:

NOTE: These steps assume that the printer is powered off and disconnected from the computer.

1) Download installation package from here.

2) Double-click installation package named “Phaser_6140_OS_10.9_Print_Installer.dmg” from your list of downloads. Double-click the 6140 Print Installer package file.

5) Ensure the printer is connected directly to the computer using a USB cable. USB Hubs, docking stations, and extender devices may still work, but are not supported and so functionality is not guaranteed. Power the printer on.

6) The USB connected printer should immediately appear in the Printers & Scanners list. You may print documents normally.

Mitch Swetsky
Xerox Customer Tools & Social Media Moderator
CM_Cert_Logo_Color.png

Please be sure to select "Accept Solution" and or select the thumbs up icon to enter Kudos for posts that resolve your issues.
Your feedback counts!
0 Kudos
Analyst Nation Moderator Joe053204-hcl
Analyst Nation Moderator

Does it just not show up in "Printers and Scanners" or does it not show up at all?

Any USB device should be acknowledged by the OS when plugged in, Typically on Mac you plug it into the USB port (Never the ones in the keyboard) and the Mac should pop up a window with the following:

"Would you like to download and install software for <Insert Printer model name >?"

If this is not happening, there is a problem with the USB port, the USB cable or the printer port.

First just try a different USB port on the Mac

To test the printer just plug it into any other computer and see if it shows up.

To test the cable you would need another cable, but that won't be needed if the printer is seen by another computer.

Now, if the printer does show up when plugged in, but does not show up with the Xerox driver installed, what happens when trying the default Mac PPD "Generic PS Printer" ?

If you have no other printers installed, try resetting the print system (This will remove all installed printers and settings)

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14141

Now if you are in fact using it as a network printer, then it is possible it is not showing up because Appletalk or Bonjour is not running, if that is the issue:

Install manually with the IP tab in "print and scan", use LPD for the protocol and enter the IP address manually.

Change the name to whatever you want. (Else it will be named via the IP address)

Set "print using" to the Phaser PPD installed with the 10.9 installer. (Just pick "Select Printer Software" and type "6140" to find it)

Failing that we need all the information you can provide in order to know what we are trying to help with, there is no known issues between the printer and the OS, so we need the specifics of your setup as we are left guessing

Please be sure to select "Accept Solution" and or select the thumbs up icon to enter Kudos for posts that resolve your issues. Your feedback counts!

Joe