cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Phaser 3040 Label Printing

Jump to solution

I have an issue with printing labels on my Phaser 3040 printer.

I use MS Excel to print my file folder labels. The labels I use are 4" x 6" Avery no. 5201. Past printers from other manufacturers had no issue printing them.

The problem I have is that this printer does not like to print a page that is less than 8.5" x 11". I have downloaded the MS Word template from Avery and tried to print it that way too, but it will not print without the error light coming on.

What happens is this. I remove my 8.5" x 11" paper and then slide the tray guides in to the correct place for my 4" x 6" label sheets, then I place an Avery label sheet in the tray. I hit the print button. It will print the label correctly, but then the ! orange light comes on and the green light blinks. The printer will not allow me to print anything else until I feed an 8.5" x 11" sheet through it, whereby it prints again what I had just printed on my label.

I have tried to change the paper size in the printer settings menu but no change I make will fix this.

So right now I have two options when I print labels. One is to always keep a scrap piece of 8.5" x 11" paper handy to feed into the machine after every time I print a 4" x 6" label, the second is to tape the 4" x 6" label to the middle of a 8.5" x 11" sheet and feed it in that way. Both options are a pain.

It all comes down to how do I print an MS Excel document that requires a size less then the standard 8.5" x 11" sheet?

Thank You.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Phaser 3040 Label Printing

Jump to solution

Hello Viron-Scott.

Thank you for using the Support Forum. Have you created a custom paper size in the driver for the labels?  Try creating the custom size and then select it prior to printing the document make sure that you select the same size in the page setup of the document as well.  If this does not help please consider contacting your support centre for further assistance.

Thanks,
CherylO-Xerox
Community Manager

Be sure to click Kudos for those who have helped you.
Select Accept as Solution for posts that have helped to solve your issue(s)!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thank you for the information, but how do I "Try creating the custom size"? I looked in printer properties and I see some custom sizes, none of which I can edit to be the size I need. As soon as I can find out how to create a new custom size or edit an existing custom size I am hoping this issue will be resolved.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Okay, I just wasted another afternoon on this. It is quite simple, really. I just want to be able to print labels. I assume the Xerox 3040 printer is capable of doing that since the tray is adjustable and it shows envelopes and labels as icons on the tray.

Please, just walk me thru it.

I have uninstalled/re-installed the printer, driver, ect.

I just want to open either Word or Excel, then feed in a 4" by 6" page, and then print to it, and not have the printer lock up with the error light blinking.

One of my co-workers has the exact same model printer and it is the same with his too.

Before I scrap these two printers and go to another manufacturer, I was hoping to get an answer.

If this model printer will not print 4" x 6" pages, please tell me so i can quit wasting my time.

Surely someone else that owns one of these printers has tried to print labels. All I need is a link or instructions on how they did it.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Hi Viron-Scott,

Here are the instructions.  I hope this helps. 

1. Right click on the Printer in the Printer and Fax or Printer and device section of Windows and select Printer Properties.
  2. Click the "Configuration" tab.
  3. Click the "Custom Paper Size..." button at the bottom.
    The "Custom Paper Size" dialog box is displayed.
  4. Select the paper you wish to define from the "Details" list box.
  5. Specify the lengths of the short edge and the long edge using "Change Setting For".
    You can specify a value using the keyboard or the up and down arrows.
    The length of the short edge cannot be longer than the long edge, even if it is within the specified range. The length of the long edge cannot be shorter than the short edge, even if it is within the specified range.
  6. To assign a paper name to the custom size, select the "Name the Paper Size" check box and enter the name in the "Paper Name" box.
  7. Repeat steps 3-5, if necessary, to define other custom sizes.
  8. Click "OK".

Note

• Only users with Administrator rights can change these settings. Other users can only read the values.
  • Values set in the "Custom Paper Size" dialog box on a local printer use the form database of the client; this also affects the other printers on the client.
Thanks,
CherylO-Xerox
Community Manager

Be sure to click Kudos for those who have helped you.
Select Accept as Solution for posts that have helped to solve your issue(s)!

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thank you very much, Cheryl, this worked.  :smileyhappy: That was exactly what I had needed, step by step instructions.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hello,

I followed your directions to create custom paper size. It looks fine when I look at the printer settings.

printer1.png

But when I try to print from any software paper size has change:

printer2.png

It behaves same in any software. I don't get it why. I still can't print with my custom page settings.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have tried what you explained below, however I can only read them.

I am logged in as an admistrator, but somehow I can't change anything.

Can you help me with this issue?

Thanks for your help in advance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi
Thank you for using the Xerox forum.

I would suggest that you review the following Phaser 3040 support site and search for additional solutions

If that does not resolve your issue you may consider contacting our specific product support experts at the Contact link shown on that page:

Mitch Swetsky
Xerox Customer Tools & Social Media Moderator
CM_Cert_Logo_Color.png

Please be sure to select "Accept Solution" and or select the thumbs up icon to enter Kudos for posts that resolve your issues.
Your feedback counts!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Advisor
Valued Advisor

Jump to solution

Hi, RecNes!

If you want it to be the default settings you will have to set it up in Start -> Devices and Printers -> Printer Preferences -> Advanced -> Printing Defaults.

Best Regards

Kimzi

--------------------------------------------
Please remember to select "Accept as Solution" for posts that helped you solve the issue.

0 Kudos