cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sasepulv New Member

Phaser 3040 - doesn't recognize driver?

Hi,

I've been using my printer (Xerox Phaser 3040) for a while now but a few weeks ago I had to reinstall the drivers (I use Windows 7 64bits). The drivers install without problem and the system registers the printer but it won't print and When I try to access the preferences, Windows throws me an error message: 'The operation couldn't be completed' and When I try to enter the properties menu the system tells me the drivers are not installed. I've tried reinstalling the drivers several times using the automatic and manual installation using the cd and downloading the setup from the support website.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Analyst Nation Moderator Joe053204-hcl
Analyst Nation Moderator

Re: Phaser 3040 - doesn't recognize driver?

You have a corrupt driver installed

Make sure there is nothing in your printer queue at the PC. Just right-click any printer and choose See whats printing

Capture.GIF

Once no jobs are in queue select any printer at all and choose Print Server Properties and in the new window go to the Drivers tab, delete any Global , Mobile Express or Phaser drivers listed

2.GIF

Reboot and reinstall driver, I would suggest the Global driver on Xerox.com, I highly suggest throwing away the CD that came with the device as the driver will always be out of date and should only be used in the small chance you have to have one and don't have Internet access.

If it still won't work, redo the above steps minus the reboot, then stop the print spooler (Open Command prompt as administrator and type net stop spooler) and manually go delete the files and folders starting with X in C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\x64\3

Restart the spooler via command prompt (net start spooler)

Reboot again and there should be no chance of it failing with that error

Please be sure to select "Accept Solution" and or select the thumbs up icon to enter Kudos for posts that resolve your issues. Your feedback counts!

Joe
0 Kudos
sasepulv New Member

Hi Joe,

I tried the solution you propose but the problem persist.
When I first try to delete the driver there's a message with the text "Unable to remove Xerox Phaser 3040 Printer, x64, Type 3 - User Mode driver. The specifiied printer driver is currently in use." If I try to remove the driver and the drivers package there's another message indicating that the 'xrhr2a64.inf (x64)' can't be deleted. I tried rebooting the spool service while deleting too and was unsuccessful.

0 Kudos
Analyst Nation Moderator Joe053204-hcl
Analyst Nation Moderator

If you ran net stop spooler from the command line as the admin there can be no jobs in queue or printer files in use as the spooler is off.

Please be sure to select "Accept Solution" and or select the thumbs up icon to enter Kudos for posts that resolve your issues. Your feedback counts!

Joe
0 Kudos