cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Phaser 4510 PXL XL Error, IllegalMediaSource

I work for a distibution center that uses over 200+ of this model printer.  We designed a new area and configured 45 new printers to handle our needs.  With this new printer configuration, we have seen 2 pages print out, one blank and the other stating "PCL XL error                  Warning:    IllegalMediaSource".  We have several print jobs that get "lost" which result in a reprint being done.  So I'm unable to systematically trace if this was printed instead of the job, or if it was printed in place of the actual job.  The information is compiled by Crystal Reports, which creates the print job on the Windows Server 2003 R2 OS.  We use the "Xerox GPD PCL6 V3.0" for all of our printing in the building (which this error only shows up on these printers we newly configured).  So changing the printer driver wouldn't make since as a resolution.  I did notice that the firmware was different on these 45 printers, so I updated the firmware to be identical to our other normally functioning printers within the building.  I have read that disabling Advanced Printing Features will resolve the issue (which is what i'm about to do).  I just wanted to know if I should disble this on the Printer UI themselves, or if I need to disable this function on the Windows Server side, or do I need to actually do them both?  Let me know if anyone has any suggestions.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Phaser 4510 PXL XL Error, IllegalMediaSource

Hello chavezcraz.

If you have not already resolved this issue, we suggest you search our online knowledgebase for this product: Phaser 4510.

Alternatively, you can visit our Contact Us page for other support options.

Thanks,
CherylO-Xerox
Community Manager

Be sure to click Kudos for those who have helped you.
Select Accept as Solution for posts that have helped to solve your issue(s)!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

The links you provided did not help resolve my issues.  I unchecked the Enhanced Printing Features option from the Windows Properties of the printer on the server.  I tested 3 printers like this all week and did not receive an error page.  I have updated all of the remaining printers on the print servers to reflect this setup.  It appears that since the Windows Properties had the Enhanced Printing Features enabled, it tried to communicate with the V3.0 driver, which was not showing Enhanced printing as an option, and would error out sending an error page.  If you uncheck that setting from the Windows Properties, it does not try and print with any enhanced features, and no error pages are received.  Hope this can help someone in the future.  Thanks all!

Highlighted

And to clarify further.... Our Windows Printer servers are VMs, and they were cloned from another working Print Server. When the cloning took place, it appeared to clone the correct driver, but when looking at the drivers closely, the V3.0 on the working print server, had the Enhanced Options available. When looking at the Print Server that was giving the errors, I see that the driver is different, and it did not have the advanced printing features option available. So there appears to have been an issue with the cloning of the server. Even though Windows showed that both servers were using the same printer driver, they were actually different when I investigated.
0 Kudos