cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
raries New Member

Phaser 5500 feeder roller change

Hi there,

We've got five Xerox Phaser 5500 printers used for printing on A5 sized pre-printed paper.

They experience paper jams intermittently, every 200 pages or on other days every 5 pages.

The Paper jam types were (c1-2, c1-3) which are for feed rollers.

Each printer outputs 3000 pages of A5 per day, so was wondering if anyone had a view on how often the feeder rollers should be replaced. Weekly....2 weekly?

Best Regards

Rod

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Xerox Employee JohnM-Xerox
Xerox Employee

Re: Phaser 5500 feeder roller change

Hello Rod,

The problem that you are experiencing may be due to the pick rollers.  You should be able to identify if it is the feed rollers if they feel smooth to the touch or if they are covered in paper dust.  It may be as simple as cleaning the pick rollers.  Here is a link on how to clean the pick rollers.

http://www.xerox.com/office/5500kb/,solution=R1015122687

The pick rollers are rated to last 300,000 pages - provided the printing is spread evenly to all trays in the printer.  If you print from the same tray all of the time, this will significantly shorten the life of the pick rollers.  The paper stock itself can shorten the life of the rollers too, depending on the media type, dust content, and roughness of the paper.

I hope that this will help resolve the issue.  If not, please post back to let us know.

John

raries New Member

Hi John,

Thanks you for the reply. I was wondering how often to change the rollers due to the daily volume of 3000 pages of A5 preprinter paper outputted. This is all from the same tray.

Actually from what you've stated 300,000 pages. I'm perhaps looking at every 2 months to change the rollers?

0 Kudos
Xerox Employee JohnM-Xerox
Xerox Employee

Hello Rod,

The pick rollers are rated to 300,000 pages with normal wear and tear usage.  Your usage is not normal wear and tear as you print 3,000 pages per day from the same paper tray.  I'm not sure about the other variables such as paper roughness, dust content, or media type, but each of those are factors that will impact the life of your pick rollers too.  It's hard to say just how often you're going to need to replace the pick rollers and/or feed rollers.  Two months may work sometimes and maybe it'll be shorter than that some months and longer in others.  You'll have to watch the performance of your machine and if it starts to show feeding issues, that might be a good indicator for changing or at least cleaning the rollers.  Both procedures for cleaning and changing the rollers can be found in the Knowledge Base for the 5500 at the link that I provided in yesterday's post.  I'm sorry that I could not provide you with a definite answer to your question, but it's not going to be a consistent time frame with the different variables in play.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.  I'll be glad to help.

John

raries New Member

Hi John,

Thanks again for your response. It is very much appreciated. I'll source some lint free cloths and more rollers for the printers.

The users got back to me stating that the ink on the pre-printed despatch notes had been changed resulting in fewer jams.

Kind regards

Rod

0 Kudos