cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rpeinert New Member

Phaser 5550 + GPD v2.2 PS + Win XP 32-bit = Window focus stealing after printing?

Jump to solution

We have been trying to standardize on the v2.2 Global Print driver across our many Xerox printers, generally to good success.  But I have run into an issue that is stumping me, am hoping someone has an idea...

We recently replaced an old departmental printer with a new Phaser 5550.   This department is pretty much the only one running a combination of Win XP 32-bit and using a 5550.    After installing the v2.2 GPD PS driver on these workstations, they are all now complaining about what appears to be window focus stealing whenever they print to the 5550.

For example, they print from Excel, they intend to continue typing to that same spreadhseet, and the window suddenly changes to something else they have open, like Outlook.  Generally this is little more than an annoyance, but sometimes they end up punching numbers into a different spreadsheet window unknowingly, and this has caused problems.   

From my observations of this, it looks like the window that was printed from loses focus, and some other window seems to randomly gain focus when you click or type next.  It is very consistent and easy to replicate on all the PCs in this department.

Has anyone seen this behavior, or have an idea how to fix?   Most of our systems are Windows 7 64-bit, I have verified this behavior doesn't occur with those PCs.  I have tried removing and reinstalling the GPD, deleting user profiles,  etc, with no luck.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Kimzi Valued Advisor
Valued Advisor

Re: Phaser 5550 + GPD v2.2 PS + Win XP 32-bit = Window focus stealing after printing?

Jump to solution

Hey, you could try this on one of the PCs :)

To prevent applications from stealing the focus from the window you are working in:

1. Start Regedit
  2. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
  3. Edit the key ForegroundLockTimeout
  4. Give it a value of 00030d40

Thanks!

0 Kudos
rpeinert New Member

Re: Phaser 5550 + GPD v2.2 PS + Win XP 32-bit = Window focus stealing after printing?

Jump to solution

I may have actually tried that over the course of my troubleshooting (been trying different things off and on for a couple weeks now)...but I will double check that next week and report back, most of that department seems to be off work today :P    Thanks for the suggestion!

0 Kudos
rpeinert New Member

Jump to solution

Ok, after some more trial and error, I thik I have figured out the cause, for anyone else that might have this problem.   It appears that the Xerox driver's "Job Notification" is what is actually stealing focus.   THe notification window wouldn't remain on-screen for very long, so it was easy to miss what was happening.    Windows 7 users get notifications by default when using this driver as well, but it doesn't seem to cause the same focus stealing problem for some reason.

I discovered this setting entirely by accident, and turned it off...so far, things seem to be working better.   It is found in the printer properties,   Configuration tab, Bi-Directional Communication button, Job Notification drop-down.   

Thanks for the suggestions!

0 Kudos