cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chris1881 New Member

Phaser 6180 takes 4 minutes to Print a Picture in Windows 7

I have a Phaser 6180 on a network with a Windows 7 and a Windows Vista computer.   Windows Vista printing from Windows Photo Gallery - prints a picture in less than 1 minute.   Windows 7  from Windows Live Photo Gallery takes 4 minutes to print the same picture.    One support person told me to make sure DNS was disabled.   It is disabled.   By the way, it's not only the time to the first picture, but it takes 4 minutes for each subsequent picture in the print que.     Text, email, etc prints normally from both computers.      Is there a setting I can change?     Also,  on the Vista computer, the software interface with the Printer is more versitle.   I can change from 300 dpi to 600 dpi.     In the Windows 7 machine I only get the 600 dpi setting.  No options.      Any help would be greatly appreciated. - Chris

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Xerox Employee JohnM-Xerox
Xerox Employee

Re: Phaser 6180 takes 4 minutes to Print a Picture in Windows 7

Hello Chris1881,

I know that you have already spoken to support and that they told you to disable DNS, but I'm wondering if you were given all of the information needed.  I have copied the solution directly from the Phaser 6180MFP Knowledge Base below so that you can see if any steps were left out.  If all of the steps have been taken and you still have an issue, then we can look into it further.

NOTE: This information applies to network or peer to peer environments in which TCP/IP is being utilized as the printing protocol.

When DNS is enabled, the printer will try to resolve its IP address to a name, which can cause a delay in sending the job to the printer. If DNS is not being used, disable it.

To disable DNS and WINS Server settings on a computer using CentreWare Internet Services:

1. From the computer, open an Internet browser window.
2. Enter the IP address of the machine in the Address field, and then press [Enter] on the keyboard. The CentreWare Internet Services window will be displayed.
3. Click on the [Properties] link.

NOTE: If DNS settings are causing the slow printing times, it may cause CentreWare Internet Services to take up to five minutes to open and to load each window when navigating to these settings. This behavior should be resolved after disabling DNS.

4. Click on the [TCP/IP] link under the Protocols section on the left side of the window.
5. Under the DNS section:
    1. Click on the [DHCP] check box to clear the check mark and disable the option.
    2. Click on the [Enable] check box next to Dynamic DNS Update to clear the check mark and disable the option.
    3. Delete any domain name in the DNS Domain Name field.
    4. Clear the IP address listed in the DNS Server Address field, and then enter 0.0.0.0 for the address.
6. Under the WINS Server section:
   1. Click on the [DHCP] check box next to Get WINS Server Address to remove the check mark and disable the option.
   2. Clear the IP address listed for Primary and Secondary WINS Server Address, and then enter 0.0.0.0 for the address.
7. Click on [Save Changes] at the bottom of the window, and then wait for the Request Acknowledged window to be displayed.
8. Close the browser window and try printing again.

0 Kudos
Chris1881 New Member

Let me ask a different question.     In Vista I have the PCL6 VERSION 2.6.4  DRIVER INSTALLED.   This driver allows me to access all the settings on the Phaser 6180.  I can change resolution,  layout, paper size, type, .... there are 4 or 5 tabs in the printer preferences box.   CAN I GET THIS DRIVER.... OR AT LEAST THE SAME SOFTWARE INTERFACE with the Phaser 6180 for my Windows 7 computer?      In Windows 7, when I pull up the preferences,  I think I get 1 or 2 options.  It appears extremely generic.  I can only print 600dpi resolution.  It's really looks like a driver issue.   Of course, I could be way wrong.    

0 Kudos
Xerox Employee JohnM-Xerox
Xerox Employee

Hello Chris1881,

Yes, you can get that exact same driver for the Phaser 6180 for your Windows 7 PC.  First, uninstall the driver that you currently have on your Win 7 PC and then delete the 6180 from the Devices and Printers list on your computer.  Now, go here and download the driver that you want.  This page is for the drivers that are specific to your Phaser 6180.  (I believe that you may have downloaded the Global Print Driver before which would explain the stripped down printing preferences you were seeing.)  Download the Windows 7 driver that you want and install it.  This should give you the same options that your Vista PC is getting.

John

0 Kudos