cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
moniquehill Member

Phaser 7500 problems- magenta is printing with black / black streaks

Jump to solution

My 7500 seemed to spontaneously print magenta dark.  I have troubleshot and printied magenta with no black in it- it still comes out very dark- like black is being added to it when it shouldnt. All other colors dont get black added. Before this, black was printing with light streaks, I replaced IU and cleaned lasers- but still there, only on black.  I am at a loss what it could be. It was printing fine them all of a suddent added black to anything with magenta in it to make it very dark.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Analyst Nation Moderator Joe053204-hcl
Analyst Nation Moderator

Re: Phaser 7500 problems- magenta is printing with black / black streaks

Jump to solution

Is there any chance this is only happening on Adobe files? If it is, go into File > Print > Advanced and enable Let printer determine Colors, or if Acrobat/Indesign it will be under a subheading of Color Management on the left menu.

Capture.GIF

Please be sure to select "Accept Solution" and or select the thumbs up icon to enter Kudos for posts that resolve your issues. Your feedback counts!

Joe
moniquehill Member

Jump to solution

My dialog box is a little diffrerent than yours. I do however have a tab on the first box that says "Printer manages colors" and it is checked.   It did this as soon as I replaced the black IU to try to get rid of streaks in balack only.  It is adding black to only the magenta, no other colors.

1a.jpg

0 Kudos
Analyst Nation Moderator

Jump to solution

You are looking in the driver, not the application. To the right of your driver in your screenshot, it shows that you have Photoshop set to over ride the driver. And the next dropdown shows it is intending to output to an RGB base instead of CMYK.

original.jpg

Please be sure to select "Accept Solution" and or select the thumbs up icon to enter Kudos for posts that resolve your issues. Your feedback counts!

Joe
moniquehill Member

Jump to solution

Ok your right, I do see that. I had actually changed that before I took the screenshot, but had changed it cack to printer manages.  I did some sample prints of boxes of cmyl in photoshop, with the printer to manage, and the magenta only is dark.  Im at a loss of what to do, I changed the IU and it did this, and didnt even correct the4 lines in the black only. I threw out my old IU so I dont have theat one and am out of IU's.  It only did this magenta thing after I replaced it.  I cant figure out why, why its putting black ink with the magenta when there is no black in it.

0 Kudos
Analyst Nation Moderator

Jump to solution

in the case of the screenshot it is doing it because the RGB world has a black background and CMYK has white. It will also add Magenta to Cyan which causes blue to be purple, and Red becomes Magenta.

If you create a 100% CMYK file it should , assuming PS driver, print only those toners with no mixing at all, assuming the driver is set like yours to let the printer manage spot colors. This probably won't match the screen since the toner in the device will almost certainly not be the identical shade as the RGB monitor displays during conversion.

Now I don't have the original file you are using, but I assume since it is a gradient that somewhere on the outer edge is the problem area and not during the gradient, if it is in the gradient, you are going to have serious issues, since the machine is doing what it thinks is required to render the color it has on the white background, because 100% magenta on paper with an 80% transparency will not look anything like it should. And you would get a lot of stepping. But you could try changing the driver setting for "Allow Printer to manage halftones"

Joe
Analyst Nation Moderator

Jump to solution

Import the attached pdf to the printer via CWIS and see iff it prints black oanywhere on the magenta page, this should stay 100% CMY when imported, but I can't say the same if it is printed through applications/drivers

Joe
moniquehill Member

Jump to solution

Foremost, thank you for your help.  Yes the file you sent me printed the magenta dark. If I create a file CMYK, a 100% magenta area only, it still prints dark. I am attaching a fle that shows 4 blocks of 100% C, M, Y, & K. All other colors print fine but the magenta is black. Even on the config page it prints the red very dark.  I called Xerox and of course they know nothing and cannot help.

20150520_114236.jpgNothing in the drivers or print box was changed after the IU was changed, it just did this after the black IU was changed.

0 Kudos
Analyst Nation Moderator

Jump to solution

I am a Xerox employee.

I really am more of a software guy and am much more proficient on bigger products with Fiery / Freeflow / Creo Rips.

This is sounding to be a hardware issue, but the Black drum(IU)should fail on all colors if it has an issue and is contaminating prints by leaking, and I would think it would show up very clearly on the yellow long before you would notice it n Magenta.

I could be very wrong here, but I don't think the magenta IU would be the issue because it doesn't lay down black at all.

The Fuser would affect any/all colors if there was contamination.

I'm afraid there may be something wrong with the device, but I can't for the life of me think of what that may be.

I know there is a user here named "Kimzi" who seems to know a lot when it comes to the Phaser line and hardware, it is possible he may see this and jump in if he has any ideas I am missing out on.

Joe
0 Kudos