I have a Phaser 7750 which works flawlessly in terms of hardware. Recently I upgraded to MacOS X Sierra (10.12) and problems started.
Whenever I try to print, the application I print from crashes with the Message «Vorschau wurde beim Verwenden des Plug-Ins XeroxImaging unerwartet beendet.» (see Screenshot)
It doesn't happen every time and from all apps and the printer does actually print the documents anyways but the problem often leads to data-loss in case I didn't save the doument prior to printing...
Is there a workaround for this problem?
Solved! Go to Solution.
I have no idea what that says, but Apple always just replaces print drivers with their own, so start there since the update broke it, get drivers from Xerox.com and reinstall the printer.
On the Xerox Page, the latest drivers are from 2015 and only made for OS X 10.10 (see screenshots). Nevertheless, I tried to reinstall them (downloaded them and installed) and it didn't change a thing... same issue.
Here is the translation of the Error-Message:
Preview quit unexpectedly when you use the XeroxImaging plug-in.
Click "Reopen" to reopen the program. Click "Report" to view additional information and send a report to Apple.
And following are the screenshots from Xerox support page:
Except the driver I linked in my post isn't the one that appears on that page, which is why I linked it.
Sorry, I didn't realise this was a specific link...
I tried the link now though.
The Installer said, it doesn't support my printer (Translation: «The printer model with this address is not supported by this installation program. To continue, select a supported model or enter a different IP address or other DNS name.»).
I either can choose one out of the list (where I can't find Phaser 7750GX) or continue without adding a printer right away.
If I add it later in system preferences, it still gives me the same issues as before...
I removed the printer again from my printers list and re-added it. But instead of adding it as «Standard» printer, I choose «IP», typed the pritnters address manually and used the LPD-Protocol. This worked - didn't extensively test it with different Apps but on the first few tries the Apps that crashed before, did crash no more and the printer startet printing also alot quicker than before. Seems to be a network protocoll issue...