cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phaser 7760 thick paper or any media except plain thin paper spotting in white areas

Hello,

I noticed my 7760 prints many dark spots in pure white areas giving a dirty appearance to the white areas.  I have tracked this to paper settings, most settings besides plain paper do this.  Selecting Photo quality exagerates it, but it happens with all settings.  I have printed the calibrate for paper 9 pages, but all 9 levels seem to have the same issue with the same density of spots, I have not tried changing it.

The printer prints fine on plain paper, whith pure white areas left unmolested as it should.

I have tried to attach an image of an area that was to remain white however the printer has printed there.  I really hope there is a resolution for this.

Thanks in advance.

7760_sample.jpg

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Community Manager CherylO-Xerox
Community Manager

Re: Phaser 7760 thick paper or any media except plain thin paper spotting in white areas

Hi LightFlightDave,

Thank you for using the Support Forum.Please take a look at the solutions for spots on the prints and see if any of these solutions help.  If not please consider contacting your support centre for further assistance.

Thanks,
CherylO-Xerox
Community Manager

Be sure to click Kudos for those who have helped you.
Select Accept as Solution for posts that have helped to solve your issue(s)!

0 Kudos

Re: Phaser 7760 thick paper or any media except plain thin paper spotting in white areas

Hello,

I am on my second xerox fuser, replacement did not stop the issue.  I've tried the fuser cleaning pages before.

Please pay special attention to the fact the problem only occurs when printing to special paper.  Regular paper does not have the issue.

thanks.

0 Kudos
Community Manager CherylO-Xerox
Community Manager

Hi LightFlightDave, 

You do not mention the type or weight of the paper you are using.  Have you checked to make sure it is within the specifications for the machine?  If it is beyond the specs.  then you would need to use paper within specs..  If the paper is within specs make sure it is in the correct paper tray for that weight.  Please look at both of these solutions that address paper for the the machine:

Paper Usage Guidelines

Paper Specifications

Thanks,
CherylO-Xerox
Community Manager

Be sure to click Kudos for those who have helped you.
Select Accept as Solution for posts that have helped to solve your issue(s)!

0 Kudos

The paper in the image is Digital Color Elite Gloss, 80lb Xerox 3R11458.  This also happens with Xerox thin glossy and labels etc etc.  I have tried thick card stock, card stock, thick glossy paper etc.   Pretty much any setting and media except regular paper.  The problem tends to follow the setting more than the paper.  For a while I thought it followed the media tray, with the problem being MPT, but have found thin glossy paper from another tray to have the same issue.  I imagine the paper setting simply tells the printer how much heat a time to bond the ink with and when the printer heats more than regular paper the problem occurs.  I do set the printer to the appropriate settings and have tried other settings not as appropriate as well to see if the problem would resolve for example thin paper with card stock but then the ink does not stick well due to lack of heat (tried once with seemingly no adverse effects after) the dots went away in this test.  I'd like to know if this is normal and if not how do I fix this as I have tried many things?

0 Kudos

So far the only solution offered through the links that might make a difference is a fuser.  Do you think another fuser will fix it?  This is getting expensive.  I have tried proper papers with proper settings, including paper mentioned.  I prefer xerox paper and use only xerox ink.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
fiery Occasional Advisor
Occasional Advisor

Try running plain paper but set the tray as heavyweight. Does the multi-colored spots still happen? The problem isnt the fuser. It could be the 2nd btr.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
ksherrod Member

I would try swapping drums to see if you can "change" the problem, in terms of possible solutions that will not cost money.  

Are the spots actually fused to the white space, or do they wipe off?  

Do the spots show up in printed areas of the copy or just the white areas?

0 Kudos

I have changed and swapped imaging units, I assume this is the same as drums.

Please notice the close up of the spots, it does seem to include spots of all colors although I have not verified that but you can certainly see some dark colors and yellow.

The problem DOES continue to the edge of the paper (in non printable areas).

The spots are fused to what should be white space all accross the paper, keeping paper true white is impossible for heavy media.

The spots do not occur on thin paper settings, and using thin paper with thin settings.  The spots do follow the paper setting and not the paper type or tray location.

It seems that paper settings requiring a heavier bake get the spots fused to the paper.  It can be thin paper on a heavy paper setting and it will get the spots.   If I reduce the setting i.e thin card stock and run the regular or thick card stock the ink does not stick well, predictably but it does have less spots.  Obviously this is not a solution, just a test I did.

I just replaced the fuser and transfer roller out of desperation.  It did not change anything at all.  I need a printer that will print our thick media in a clean professional way or having this printer is pointless for us.

I have also replaced the belt cleaner assembely.

All I can think is the huge belt assembeley is bad?  I've replaced everything except the printer, that may be next, but I really do like this printer.

Thanks for any ideas.

0 Kudos
fiery Occasional Advisor
Occasional Advisor

It has to be something transfer related. You are getting the 4 color spots and only in heavyweight. The only thing in common would be transfer which includes the tranfer belt cleaner, transfer bely, transfer belt assembly, 2nd btr.

0 Kudos