cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Phaser 8550 missing two letters ... T and I

Good Morning...

I'm having  a problem with one of my Phaser 8550s.  For whatever reason, it's stopped printing the letters t and i.  The letters are missing on all parts of the page. I've had 2 users print different files (one pdf, one word doc) from 2 different machines.  

The drivers are sitting on a 2k8R2 server ... The printer in question is using the x86 driver Xerox Phaser 8550DP PS ver 5048.300.0.0

I've combed all kinds of forums, but can't find an answer as to why these two letters are missing...

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Technical Escalation Support

Re: Phaser 8550 missing two letters ... T and I

Hi milnesy,

What kind of font are the Word doc and PDF file using?  On the PDF, try opening it in Adobe Reader then:

File>Print

Click on the "Advanced" button

Check the box for "Print as Image"

Click ok

Try printing it again, does everything seem to print normally now?  If so, I may have a suggestion for a driver setting change on the print server. 

Let me know.

Thank you,

Tim

Thank you,
Tim
Xerox 2nd Level
Remote Support Engineer

Be sure to click Kudos for those who have helped you.
Select Accept as Solution for posts that have helped to solve your issue(s).
Highlighted

Tim:
I have problems both in word and as best as they can tell me in PDF. What is the tweak that I could apply to help avoid this problem.
0 Kudos

Hi Milnesy,

The picture below may look a little different on your computer depending on which driver version you are using. 

In Adobe Reader go to File>Print and select your 8550.  Click on the "Properties" button to the right of the printer dropdown.  This will then take you into the driver for your printer.   Once you are in the driver, click on the "Advanced" tab. 

Locate the "TrueType Font" setting and change it to "Download as Softfont".  Next, locate the "TrueType Font Download Option" and set this to "Outline". 

Next click on Apply and then try to print your document. 

Driver settings

Thank you,
Tim
Xerox 2nd Level
Remote Support Engineer

Highlighted

Is there anything that I can do for word documents? I want to blame some of the new fonts in Word for this problem...
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Milnesy,

The settings I sent you are a driver setting and are the same for Word.  Did this fix the problem with the fonts in the PDF file?

My guess is that whatever font you are using is not a font that is resident on the printer.  Since it isn't a resident font, the printer tries to replace it with a font that is on the machine, which can sometimes give you mixed results.  Changing this setting tells the driver to download the fonts with the print job when it sends it to the machine.

Hopefully this resolves your issue.   Please let us know. 

Thank you,
Tim
Xerox 2nd Level
Remote Support Engineer

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Milnesy,

Are you by chance using a Calibri Font and Office 2010?  If so, I also found this:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/officeversion_other-word/office-2010-word-calibri-fo...

and more importantly what appears to be a solution:

https://www.conetrix.com/Blog/post/Missing-Characters-When-Printing-to-HP-or-Xerox-Printers.aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2592142

The download as softfont setting I told you about should also work.

Thank you,
Tim
Xerox 2nd Level
Remote Support Engineer