cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Print Quality Just Changed

Hi I am hopin gthat someone will be able to help me as I am not sure what just happened.

My 3 colour cartridges are low but were still ptinting fine.

In the middle of my print job thick lines statrted to print instead of the image.

I figures that I just needed to clean the cartridges so I accessed the maintenace menu on my printer.

I cleaned the developer, refreshed all of the toner cartridges, refresehed the image unit and reset the fuser.

I have had this printer for almost 2 years and really like the quality of my print images.

However after I did all of the above the quality of the print job is not longer vibvrant but now dull.

Even the black print.

Any suggesteions as to what I need to do to get back to the original print quality??

Thank you

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Valued Advisor
Valued Advisor

Re: Print Quality Just Changed

Without a model you won't get specifics, but in general, banding would likely be a drum/imaging unit issue, and faded/dull is the imaging unit or the drum.

Both issues will happen with out of spec stock, either to light, or thick for the printer to handle, or easily usable, but programmed incorrectly (Set to 90GSM and is really 300GSM, Coated vs PLain, etc etc)

If the issue is just one color related in the CMYK gamut, it can't be the fuser, but might be the drum/imaging unit or the toner itself (solidified in cartridge, broken gear in feed etc etc)

To check for a specified color, just print 10 copies of the attached document, if the issues only occur on one color, you know it isn't the fuser.

Please be sure to select "Accept Solution" and or select the thumbs up icon to enter Kudos for posts that resolve your issues. Your feedback counts!

Joe Arseneau
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks of course I should have incliuded the printer model

it is the Xerox Workcentre 6505DN printer

Like I said everything was printing fin and now the lines are completely gone is like it is not fusining enough toner to the page.

WOuld using the maintenance features on the printer have caused this issue?

like what does clean developer do?

Or toner refersh?

image unit refresh?

and resetting the fuser?

I almost wish that I had not done any of the above and just power cucled my printer.

I printed everything and the colours are printing the test and it is blochy not solid in colour

In a way when I am printing things it is like I requested the savetoner/iink function.

I cannot see the problem being the cartrdges as the black one is a high yield cartridge that was recently replaced.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Advisor
Valued Advisor

None of them would/should have made anything worse that wasn't going to happen anyway, for instance if the toner solidifed, or the toner feeder stopped functioning, it would do what you are seeing, and it would get progressively worse per page (In the toner area, it goes from the cartridge, fed into a hopper then into the system to the developer/belt and onto the page and then fused)

But without the results of the pdf I linked being printed it is still purely conjecture as to where to begin looking, But, if the fuser is the issue, it typically would mean the toner would smear when touched (not hot enough) or flakes off the page (too hot).

And of course third party toner, some work, some don't, it depends on the toner in question and where it's melt point is, if it isn't near enough to the Xerox branded toner, it can cause massive issues internally that require tearing the machine apart to resolve, which is the reason all printer companies do not condone their use, it isn't just money/greed, some of them are really poorly made with no thought as to the requirements of their application, there are even some who sell the toner bagged and you need to refill the original cartridges, that stuff is obviously never been tested. And in no way am I stating I believe you did any of those things.

Please be sure to select "Accept Solution" and or select the thumbs up icon to enter Kudos for posts that resolve your issues. Your feedback counts!

Joe Arseneau
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Joe

yes I am using Xerox cartridges as I wanted to make sure that I was maintaining print quality

I am not sure how to get the test to you as the PDF is too large

I am trying to see if I can attach more that one image as the only way I could get it small enough is as a jpeg

Just found out that the jpeg is also too large

0 Kudos