cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Recommendation for new printer with specific capabilities to 7800DN

Product Name: Xerox Phaser 7800DN
Operating System: Windows 10 x64

In addition to regular printing of documents and small catalogs, we use our 7800DN to print paint can labels through the side tray. As this unit has gotten a lot of use over the past couple years it is time to consider what we would replace it with.

The main custom sizes are

Quart Can: 4.5" x 13.7"

Gallon Can: 7.2" x 21.4"

There are also a couple other cans that are occasionally printed.

We don't want to speak to a sales person at this time - just looking for information on suitable printers so we will know what our options are.

1- we'd like a printer that is reasonably close in cost for the unit, average print cost and footprint to the current one. This is a small office and we don't have a lot of room. The catalog printing is for occasional 'print as needed' situations and we have the bigger trade show orders done offsite. Since these are standard 11" x 17" it isn't a problem.

The paint can labels are the issue. They are printed 'as needed' daily during the paint season as orders come in. ( the 7.2 x 21.4 is the label size, print area is slightly smaller but works since we need to wrap and glue the overlap anyway )

2- currently since you can save the sizes in the driver, but not on the printer, we have to manually type in sizes for the labels at the printer every time we switch cans. Each time you do it overwrites the last custom size so if we need to switch label sizes we have to do it all again.

If there is a printer with either multiple bypass trays that can each be assigned it's own unique size or that will store multiple custom sizes so that when the user sends the job from their computer it sends the size to the printer and uses whatever paper is in the bypass tray that would be good.

We switch sizes all day as orders come in and manually punching in the sizes at the printer each time is a pain.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Recommendation for new printer with specific capabilities to 7800DN

Hi Burt,

Thank you for using the Support Forum. Please take a look at the PrimeLink C9065/C9070. The PrimeLink will print your custom sizes.  The printer is close to the same footprint as the one you have now.  Take a look and see if the PrimeLink C9065/C9070 will work for your processes.

Thanks,
CherylO-Xerox
Community Manager

Be sure to click Kudos for those who have helped you.
Select Accept as Solution for posts that have helped to solve your issue(s)!

Highlighted

Some follow up questions. So for example with "1" the oversized feeder which has two trays I could put the quart can size 4.5 x 13.7" paper in one, and the gallon size paper 7.2 x 21.4 in the other and if I save those settings with my jobs and the tray information the guys can send labels to the printer without having to change settings at the printer correct? And "6" which has 5 trays I could put my 11x17 in the 12x18 tray, have 3 8.5 x 11 standard trays and the bypass is that correct? The goal is to avoid all the switching in and out of paper and typing in sizes at the printer. If this is all correct then this printer sounds like it will do the job. Thanks for your help.Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Burt,

From the information I am reading you should be able to achieve the setups you are describing.  Unfortunely I do not have a machine to test on so I would suggest you see if there is one avaiable at your local Xerox office so that your applications can be tested.  

Thanks,
CherylO-Xerox
Community Manager

Be sure to click Kudos for those who have helped you.
Select Accept as Solution for posts that have helped to solve your issue(s)!

0 Kudos