cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Removing Banner page from WC7232 on AIX

Hello all

I have been ask to setup an AIX box, 6100-06-05-1115, for printing to a WC7232. After some digging I found the driver suite, XeroxAIXpowerpcxpxx_4.30.28.tgz, and installed it. It worked right out of the box with 'lp', but 2 banner pages were also printed; 1 from the the AIX box with the usual info about type of driver, user, host, etc, and a 2nd nicely formatted one. I went back in the queue config and remove the banner page printing option and test again. This time only 1 banner page was printed, the nicely formatted one.

I then tried to print using the 'xprint' utility, as stated in the documentation. I still got a banner page, even with the '-onb' option.

After some more reading, I get and installed the Printer Package,XeroxPrinterPkgXPXX_2009_11_11.tgz, in order to have the appropriate driver. I was using the Generic one and guessed that this could be the  cause of the double banner pages. I got much more options to play with, but could not get rid of the extra banner page.

I thought of asking the printer admin to go strait to the printer itself and remove the banner page printing from there but, this solution will impact all other users. It may not be a feasible solution.

Since the goal is to print label, not having a banner page printed is mandatory.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Regards

Claude

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Removing Banner page from WC7232 on AIX

Hi Claude.CUSM,

Thank you for using the Support Forum. Please take a look at the solution for turning off the banner page in the driver.  If this information does not help please consider contacting your support centre for further assistance.

Thanks,
CherylO-Xerox
Community Manager

Be sure to click Kudos for those who have helped you.
Select Accept as Solution for posts that have helped to solve your issue(s)!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello Cheryl

thanks for the answer, but the link is for a Windows solution. I will follow your advice and contact the Support Center.

Thanks again
Claude
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Advisor
Valued Advisor

Hi Claude!

Here is the page Cheryl probably meant to link to.

Also you can disable the banner page through the PPD:

Go to Folder, and enter this directory - /etc/cups/ppd
Here you will find the current ADDed printers' PPDs. Drag one or several to the desktop. Copying will not disturb your current setup.

you can edit the PPD with a text editor. Read through it and find the default settings for banner page - here you can disable the feature.

Best Regards

Kimzi

--------------------------------------------
Please remember to select "Accept as Solution" for posts that helped you solve the issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello Kimzi

thanks for the reply

I saw that page when I was digging for information. It concerns OS X and cannot be applied to my AIX situation.

As for the ppd file, that was a good idea; i had not thought of that. But unfortunately, the banner page setting was already set to 'none'

Regards

Claude

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Advisor
Valued Advisor

Hi again, Claude!

Hmm, let's see.

Do you use the command "lpr" or "lpr -h" when printing?

and also in "/etc/qconfig" for the queue, you did change header page to "never"?.

What about this?

login in as root
smitty print -> Change / Show Print Queue Characteristics -> your print queue -> your printer -> Default Print Job Attributes -> Under the "Header/Trailer Page Options" section, change "SEPARATOR PAGES" to "none".

Best Regards

KImzi

Please remember to select "Accept as Solution" for posts that helped you solve the issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello Kimzi

thanks for your perseverance :)

I tried to print with 'lp' and 'xprint'; both gave the same results.

Modifying '/etc/qconfig' did not change anything either.

But I noticed something interesting... my AIX is in English, my workstation is in English, but the actual WC7232 is configured in French. And the banner pager that I cannot get rid of is also in French.

I played with the 'banner page' option and got one, in English, with the option ON. So it tells me that the problem comes from the printer itself. And since some people are using this page (?), I cannot ask the printer admin to cancel this option on the unit itself.

On my Windows workstation, this extra page is easily remove by a setting in the printer's config. I was hoping that the same trick could be done on AIX.

Regards

Claude

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Advisor
Valued Advisor

Hi, Claude!

That's what the extra line "-h" should do, does the command "lpr -h" work for you at all?

Best Regards

Kimzi

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello Kimzi

sorry, I should have told you... yes, lpr works fine, but the '-h' option change nothing; I still get the banner page from the WC7232 itself.

Regards

Claude

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Advisor
Valued Advisor

Hi again, Claude.

Oke, glad they allowed you to turn it off on the machine.

Best Regards

Kimzi

0 Kudos