cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Versant2100User

Re: The Dark side of Versant 2nd BTR

When you say cleaning blade, do you mean the IBT belt cleaner assembly or do you mean the cleaning blade on the 2nd BTR?

Would you recommend for us to switch to Silver Digital Matt? For silk stock we sometimes use ArcticSilk+ by Arctic Paper. Sometimes we still have problems with strikes/lines on Arctic Silk+ 115gsm with fairly new 2nd BTRs. My theory is that true coated silk paper just doesnt work with the versant. We also sometimes use Pro-Design by International Paper. It is much more durable than silk paper because it is not actually coated - While using it we dont have to worry too much about streaking. Another problem is that a lot of customers require silk paper instead of for example Pro Design, because it is often cheaper, coated and the most usual paper for magazines etc.

A huge problem for us it also that we bought a bunch of Colour Impressions Silk paper and other silk paper that was recommended by Xerox. We didnt know anything about the 2nd BTR issues when buying the paper and now we have a bunch of paper that we basically cant use. I really hope there will be a fix/update to the 2nd BTR. If nothing happens we must switch to a different machine that is able to handle silk paper.

0 Kudos
Futaura

Yes, sorry, the IBT cleaner. That said, the tech didn't bother replacing it this time, even though it is 100K over the 300K threshold. The tech installed yet more new software on our V180, which apparently may help with the 2nd BTR issue (heard that before though).

We tend to use Pro Design for uncoated too (actually, switched to Image Impact Plus, which is exactly the same paper, but in a different wrapper, which we can get cheaper), but as you say it is more expensive than silk/gloss. The 2nd BTR happens just as badly on 250gsm/300gsm Pro Design as on silk, we find.

I would recommend Silver Digital, but Xerox Colour Impressions Silk is pretty close to it anyway when it comes to 2nd BTR life. We've never tried Arctic Silk - I wonder if it is the same as another brand? I know Canon/OCE Top Coated Plus Silk was/is the same as Lumi Digital Silk up to 250gsm , for example. As I've said before, the 2nd BTR problem happens more quickly for us when running a lot of 250gsm or heavier stock - if we were to only run 150gsm silk, I don't think we'd have much of a problem. 

I think what Xerox need to sort out is why is it dumping toner over the 2nd BTR in the first place. The IBT cleaner should be cleaning off waste toner before it gets to the 2nd BTR, so why is toner still getting dumped on the roller in between sheets of paper passing through. The amount of waste toners we get through on the V180 is even more than we got on our V80.

0 Kudos
k_graham
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

It has been a few months now, is this still an issue on the 180 and did it extend to the 3100's ?

We are considering their new Versant 280 which is the 180 with higher 350 GSM duplex or 400 GSM single side spec. As well it has the option of Metallics but at seemingly excessive price for the option. (I think they put the decimal place 1 to far to the left for the option:(

Alternatively if they have a clearance on their 3100 models for their soon to be released new models due to release of the new ones that will do the additional metalic inks.  

0 Kudos
Versant2100User

We have a 2100 and just received the newest model of 2nd BTR (2.0), the one who 3100 uses. It lasted 1 day with under 3000 impressions and then there were streaks on the paper. We only used 170gsm Xerox Colour Impressions Silk and were not able to complete the print order without streaks.

Our conclusion is that this these Versant machines are not made for Coated paper. Especially Silk paper. If we were running silk paper every day, we would need to replace several 2nd BTR's within a single week.

I'm 99% sure that Xerox will never fully fix this issue by just adjusting the 2nd BTR and making script changes. They need to make a completely different 2nd BTR and replace several parts of the machine. The machine just uses a lot of toner that is too much to handle for the 2nd BTR. The 2nd BTR's also gets damaged very easily by the edge of the paper, which will cause a scratch on the 2nd BTR, that will transfer toner dirt on the printed paper.

0 Kudos
k_graham
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

In that case I guess its up to Xerox to state what they did differently on the 280 model if anything. Are their any Versant 280 users that care to comment, if not Xerox?

Thanks, 

Ken

0 Kudos