cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Which driver to use?

Hi all.  I'm building a new print server and am using Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit Standard.  The clients that will be printing to the queues I'll create are Windows 7 32-bit clients.  The Xerox devices are all multifunction printers/faxes/scanners/copiers and some are color and others are black and white.  You know how when you're putting in your information for filtering purposes and you can choose an operating system?  Which operating system am I supposed to put in there?  The server or the client operating system?  If you say the server operating system, just to be clear, the 32-bit Windows 7 clients would be fine using the driver downloaded for Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit, right?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Valued Advisor
Valued Advisor

Re: Which driver to use?

i have the best results with the latest global 5.216.19

you have if for 32 and 64 bit , all os are compatible , except 2000 offcourse :)

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks for the reply. Does it matter which OS I select in the OS drop down list? Does it matter if in that list I choose 32-bit or 64-bit?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Advisor
Valued Advisor

the os doesnt mather, its the same driver for every os :)

offcourse it mathers if 32 and 64 bit is selected, you have to install the correct driver on your server and then add the addiotional driver if need for your clients

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Okay, so the clients will all be 32-bit Windows 7.  Does that mean I should download the 32-bit global driver or the 64-bit global driver since the server OS is 64-bit?  I'm guessing the 32-bit but would like to know what you think.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Advisor
Valued Advisor

install 64 bit driver in server , then add additional 3 bit driver on server

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks Fabio.  I'm really not trying to be difficult.  I'm just trying to understand.  So here's my next question - If none of the clients that will be printing to this print server are 64-bit OS's why would I install the 64-bit server OS driver package?  Does it contain the 32-bit drivers for the Windows 7 clients?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

You have to use the 64-bit driver to install the printer on the 64-bit server. Once that's done, then add the 32-bit driver as an Additional Driver (on the sharing page in the properties for the printer). When the 32-bit clients connect to the printer, the 32-bit driver will then automatically be installed on the clients.
0 Kudos