cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

WorkCentre 5150 -- cannot print from some computers

This is driving me nuts.  A recently installed WorkCentre 5150 will not accept print jobs from some computers.  I've tried the Global, Post Script, and PCL6 drivers from Xerox.  I've even tried the Generic Text-Only driver.  The print job stays in the queue at the computer and periodically displays the "Failed to print" message.  I can change the IP address to another 5150, and it'll immediately release and print the job.

I can ping the printer from the computers, and I can access it via the web browsers.  They just can't get the print jobs to this one 5150.

Computers are Dell Optiplex 745s and 755s.  Dell Optiplex 960s print to it just fine.  And I've managed to print to it from another 755 at my office.

Computers are all XP trying to print IP to the printer.  Computers all print fine to other printers including other WorkCentre 5150s.  It's only this one that they won't print to.

We have 56 WorkCentre 5150s, and I have no trouble printing to 55 of them.

I'm stumped.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Valued Advisor
Valued Advisor

Re: WorkCentre 5150 -- cannot print from some computers

when you print the config sheets, can you compare them? then you can find the different settings?

it must be some port protocol setting or something like that

Highlighted

The offending printer is 500+ miles from me, but I could print one and have them email it to me.  The scanner does work ;)

I have compared them side by side in my browser.

Oddly, the computers can see the printer.  Properties, Printing Preferences, More status, completed jobs shows me the completed jobs for the printer.  The computer and printer drivers are seeing it just fine.  I just can't get the printed job to the printer from these three computers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Advisor
Valued Advisor

have you tried chaning the tcip port from raw mode to lpr?

open up driver properties, the ports tab, the click configure port , choose lpr, fwith queue name : LP

also try disabling bidectional setup, you can find this in the configuration tab

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Fabio, I just got it going.  I had them email me a configuration report from their printer and compared it to mine (thanks for the suggestion).  LPD enabled was disabled on the offending printer.  I enabled it, and all is good. 

I had compared them in the browsers and just missed it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Advisor
Valued Advisor

no problem :)
0 Kudos